Menu
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 1 of 20 (7,750 Views)

Spotify no longer available?

I have 3 Tivo boxes. One of which, the Cisco 500, has been updated this week, to include the new TiVO logo, Series Link+.

The other two boxes remain with the old TiVo logo on the home page.

When I go to use Spotify, which we do everyday on the updated box, I get a message saying that Spotify is no longer available on Virgin TV.

On the other 2 boxes Spotify works fine.#

Please please please don't tell me Virgin Media are taking away the Spotify app?

We listen to Spotify through Tivo as its connected to our surround sound system.

Spotify app on Virgin TV was one of the main reasons I have just re-contracted for another 12 months as its the best way to listen to music for us.

Why are services being chipped away all the time? We have just lost the Virgin Cloud app as our other source of music!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 20 (15,234 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by jobbie
‎09-06-2016 16:53

Re: Spotify no longer available?

Pathetic isn't it. Virgin Media made such a huge song and dance when it was launched, including numerous articles in the media and then just 4 years on and without any announcement, warning or notification, it just gets swept away under the carpet as if it never existed, under the pretence of a "major upgrade". I bet they are busy right now updating all the websites and manuals that still refer to Spotify, just like Dolby Digital last year. And not even the retentions or Tivo departments had been communicated internally of it and were fobbing you off with "it will be back is 24 hours !!!!!!! WOW Virgin. Wow.

From 2011:

Virgin Media executive director of digital entertainment Cindy Rose said: ‘The launch of Spotify on Virgin Media marks a significant milestone for digital entertainment and the way it is enjoyed by consumers.

‘Great digital services are no longer just about fast broadband or the latest TV technology, but increasingly about how people use their services to power and excite their daily lives. Bringing together Virgin Media services with brilliant entertainment such as Spotify is a core part of our ongoing strategy and we’re excited to be able to lead the way with such a great partnership.’

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/news/industry/13089/Virgin-Media-launches-free-Spotify-music-streaming-...

This user has left the community.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Community Lead
Message 6 of 20 (15,178 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by jobbie
‎09-06-2016 17:28

Hi Jobbie

Sorry about this, we are currently waiting on confirmation as to the situation with this app.

As soon as we have an answer, we'll post a reply.

James

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Dialled in
Message 16 of 20 (7,648 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by jobbie
‎20-07-2016 12:00

Hi Jobbie, 

Just spoke with a very nice lady in Virgins Technical dept (I was contacting the dept about a different ongoing Tivo issue), and she confirmed that Spotify has been removed due to it not being of sufficient quality following recent Tivo upgrades and there isn't anything in the pipeline to bring it back on line. I conveyed how this reflects badly, especially as it was originally considered a great plus for customers to be able to access Spotify through Tivo. I also pointed out that it is bad that there is no communication to advise when there is a removal of a product/service, almost as if they hope no one will notice? 

It also strikes me how often Virgin struggles to work with other providers effectively when it comes to changes which has a very negative effect on the service provided to Virgin customers, thinking of Sky problems a few years back, Google (Re email service a year or two ago and which continues to frustrate with "I am not a robot" and select pictures with Shop Fronts, Palm Trees, Road Signs etc etc!!) and now Spotify.

I've been looking into the Smart TV Box and looks too good to be true!  I also spoke to Virgin to see how cutting the Tivo and our V+ box would affect our cost and was told I would save £39 a month but apparently I would have to consider upgrading my current 100mb Broadband to 200mb for an extra £8. Anyway, I shall continue researching the options but thank you for your feedback on what you decided to do - it's definitely a no brainer for you, saving £90 month!

Cheers

John       

Community elder
Message 20 of 20 (7,015 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by jobbie
‎24-08-2016 23:35

Spotify strategy is to go for apps where they can leverage social media links, and to enourage hifi amp makers to build in spotify connect, so it is on the hifi amp ( app controlled) , not on the TV. They may see tv tivo as a dead end, even if VM wanted to keep it ..

I have a Yamaha network receiver with spotify connect on board. It's a very smart solution, from spotify tablet or desktop apps I see devices available and I can instantly re-route what's playing to the yamaha ( which spoify can wake over LAN) , takes just a second or two for the track to begin playing on the Yamaha , and that includes the wake from sleep stage. it is possible for spotify connect to get a tad confused over what devices are available, but that's not too surprising when  I can control yamaha amp in 4 different ways: buttons on front, the Yamaha app, the physical yamaha remote, and the spotify app; and connect is designed to play-on forever in radio or party modes. because connect is built in, there is nothing to ever install or update on the hifi amp, and all the music is streamed direct from spotify servers, so tablet can sleep .

https://support.spotify.com/uk/using_spotify/play_on_stereo_tv_car/spotify-connect/

All Replies
Superfast
Message 2 of 20 (7,674 Views)

Spoke to a guy in Retentions last night as I received no reply here or on Facebook. He checked with the Tivo dept which have no knowledge of Spotify being removed.
I was told the app would be back within the next 24hrs as my area is still getting the new software.
My other 2 boxes have just updated at 3.50am.
Spotify is still a locked app with the message that Spotify is no longer available on Virgin TV.

So now I have no Spotify at all.
0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 20 (15,235 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by jobbie
‎09-06-2016 16:53

Pathetic isn't it. Virgin Media made such a huge song and dance when it was launched, including numerous articles in the media and then just 4 years on and without any announcement, warning or notification, it just gets swept away under the carpet as if it never existed, under the pretence of a "major upgrade". I bet they are busy right now updating all the websites and manuals that still refer to Spotify, just like Dolby Digital last year. And not even the retentions or Tivo departments had been communicated internally of it and were fobbing you off with "it will be back is 24 hours !!!!!!! WOW Virgin. Wow.

From 2011:

Virgin Media executive director of digital entertainment Cindy Rose said: ‘The launch of Spotify on Virgin Media marks a significant milestone for digital entertainment and the way it is enjoyed by consumers.

‘Great digital services are no longer just about fast broadband or the latest TV technology, but increasingly about how people use their services to power and excite their daily lives. Bringing together Virgin Media services with brilliant entertainment such as Spotify is a core part of our ongoing strategy and we’re excited to be able to lead the way with such a great partnership.’

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/news/industry/13089/Virgin-Media-launches-free-Spotify-music-streaming-...

Superfast
Message 4 of 20 (7,607 Views)

[ Edited ]
I dont understand why no one at VirginTV know? Also to see staff members on here reply to other questions but not mine makes me feel like it's no big deal to them.

I can see Kath_F has been on here 25 mins ago and answered to a thread above mine .
0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 20 (7,599 Views)

[ Edited ]

There is even someone who has been waiting over 24 hours for their Tivo to finish updating and no one has replied. I have refrained from doing so on the basis that people say a bumped thread goes to the back of the queue. I despair at "private messages" being sent about the "Re: why is TIVO box deleting programs on-mass" thread too despite acknowledging "I understand this has been ongoing for some time for many" but what can you do?? They have hundred of posts about it, what more do they need to privately communicate about, to get it fixed???

0 Kudos
Community Lead
Message 6 of 20 (15,179 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by jobbie
‎09-06-2016 17:28

Hi Jobbie

Sorry about this, we are currently waiting on confirmation as to the situation with this app.

James

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Fibre optic
Message 7 of 20 (7,587 Views)

James_W wrote:
Hi Jobbie

James

It has been confirmed by a poster on another forum. Apparently it was discontinued because it does not work with the new Tivo firmware. ( I hope they don't mind me re-posting)

"We’re sorry, the Spotify app is no longer available on Virgin TV. To carry on enjoying your Spotify subscription you can head online to Spotify.com
If you have your Spotify subscription through Virgin Media you’re still able to enjoy your full Spotify service across any of your other devices.”

Superfast
Message 8 of 20 (7,585 Views)

The info I have just seen on another forum says the Spotify app is not compatible with the new software.
Absolutely crazy if this is the case.

The message in the Discovery Barry says we've updated your TV service to make it better... well Virgin haven't really have they?

I've just cancelled TV and phone so NowTV and Chromecast with Spotify for me going forward.
Thanks anyway James_W, but if anything changes in my 30 day notice period let me know. 😀
Message 9 of 20 (7,512 Views)

Hi

We are making a number of changes that will improve the overall experience of Virgin TV. Improvements and changes to our service require each of our partners to reflect these in their apps. 

We hope to work with all our partners to ensure they continue to remain on the platform.  At this stage, some of our existing app  partners are not in a place where they are able to make this transition and we have deemed that the app experience for our customers is not of sufficient quality for them to remain on the platform.

I am sorry, but I can confirm that the Spotify app is no longer available.  If you have your Spotify subscription through Virgin Media you will still be able to enjoy the full Spotify service across a range of devices.

Thank you. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 10 of 20 (7,498 Views)

Thanks for your reply and confirmation that Spotify is no longer available. Although your quote:

'and we have deemed that the app experience for our customers is not of sufficient quality for them to remain on the platform.'
Makes me wonder that VirginTV have no idea of what customers want to use.
As the Spotify app did it's job quite simply, unlike the terrible VeVo app that is awful to use.
Another service taken away to add to the list, Music OnDemand, VM Cloud app to name 2 I used often.

18 years of being a TV customer over for me.
0 Kudos