Menu
Pastie1974
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Soundbar via Tivo Remote

Hi,

Just picked myself up a soundbar and connected it via optical input. I have heard you can use the tivo remote to control the soundbar volume? Can someone give any pointers or guidance on this??

Many thanks..

Glenn

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Soundbar via Tivo Remote

2. Make sure your AV device and your TiVo box are switched on.

3. Press and hold down "clear" and press volume up at the same time, until the light on the top of the remote flashes green twice.

4. Enter the four digit code for your AV device's make and model number from the list. The LED should then flash green twice. This shows you have entered a valid code.

5. Press and to check that the remote is working. If not, repeat the steps above using a different code for your AV device from the list.

Searching for an AV device code

If your device brand isn’t listed or doesn’t work, you can search for a code that does.

1. Turn the device volume up to an audible level.

2. Press and hold down and volume up at the same time until the light on top of the remote flashes green twice.

3. Enter the code 1999 to access the AV device code database – the LED will flash green twice.

4. Point the remote at the AV device and press channel up until a code mutes the volume for the device – the LED will flash green each time a code is sent.

5. When the volume turns off, release channel up and press to turn the volume back on.

6. Press and to check that the remote is working with your device. If they don’t, continue to search using channel down until the next code turns off the volume, and repeat steps 5 and 6.

7. When the Volume and Mute keys work, press to store the code. The LED will then flash green twice.

8. If you reach the end of the code database, the light on top of the remote will give an extended red flash and exit programming mode.

Searching the device list

If at any time you think you’ve missed the code, you can work backwards through the code database by pressing the channel down button at any time.

Reset remote

To clear your changes and reset your remote to its original settings:

1. Press and hold down and on the remote at the same time until the light on the top of the remote flashes green twice.

2. Press three times, then press

3. The LED will flash green four times and exit programming mode.

http://www.virginmedia.com/tivo/audio_remote_code_list.pdf

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

2. Make sure your AV device and your TiVo box are switched on.

3. Press and hold down "clear" and press volume up at the same time, until the light on the top of the remote flashes green twice.

4. Enter the four digit code for your AV device's make and model number from the list. The LED should then flash green twice. This shows you have entered a valid code.

5. Press and to check that the remote is working. If not, repeat the steps above using a different code for your AV device from the list.

Searching for an AV device code

If your device brand isn’t listed or doesn’t work, you can search for a code that does.

1. Turn the device volume up to an audible level.

2. Press and hold down and volume up at the same time until the light on top of the remote flashes green twice.

3. Enter the code 1999 to access the AV device code database – the LED will flash green twice.

4. Point the remote at the AV device and press channel up until a code mutes the volume for the device – the LED will flash green each time a code is sent.

5. When the volume turns off, release channel up and press to turn the volume back on.

6. Press and to check that the remote is working with your device. If they don’t, continue to search using channel down until the next code turns off the volume, and repeat steps 5 and 6.

7. When the Volume and Mute keys work, press to store the code. The LED will then flash green twice.

8. If you reach the end of the code database, the light on top of the remote will give an extended red flash and exit programming mode.

Searching the device list

If at any time you think you’ve missed the code, you can work backwards through the code database by pressing the channel down button at any time.

Reset remote

To clear your changes and reset your remote to its original settings:

1. Press and hold down and on the remote at the same time until the light on the top of the remote flashes green twice.

2. Press three times, then press

3. The LED will flash green four times and exit programming mode.

http://www.virginmedia.com/tivo/audio_remote_code_list.pdf

Pastie1974
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Awesome - Thanks @dannylau!

so simple to do when you get the right advice....

Glenn

0 Kudos
lewisdow123
Joining in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I have a sound bar, 2.1 Samsung HW-F350 40 inch Soundbar with 3D Sound Plus.

None of the listed codes worked so I used the search option. I performed the step 4 times so I know it was not a mistake. I got the mute and volume buttons to work however when I registered the correct search code by pressing OK and receiving the two green lights the remote would then not work, almost as if the code was not saved.

Do you have any advise to give? A little sad since it would work until the moment I tried to save it.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

try programming it for the tv first and then it should work

lewisdow123
Joining in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

That did work!!!!  Thank you so much...  I had previously thought it was the correct thing to do, to clear the TV program from the remote before setting up the sound bar... would never had related the two.  

Thank you very much, you've saved me many man hours in searching or reaching for the separate remote... Much appreciated, great advice!!!!!   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Pastie1974 and lewisdow123, 

I'm so happy that you have got this sorted,  and I'm sure that the information supplied in this thread by Dannylau will be of help to many more users in the future. 

Well done to all of you! 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Nathan_w_17
Joining in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dannylau your instructions seemed very useful for the other users.  I have just bought a Toshiba L7355 and Toshiba soundbar SBX4250.  I have tried setting the up the TV using the codes on the PDF link, 1060/1140/1198, no luck.  I also followed the instruction for the system to check "all codes".  Run through your instructions a few times and even cleared the remote as listed at the end, still no luck.

I believe both systems are relatively new to the market but is there something I am missing.  Great system so would love this little extra feature of volume control for the soundbar.

Thanks

Nathan

0 Kudos
Olly
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Just had to get a Bush soundbar for my new TV which altho having a great picture has rubbish speakers. It's connected with an Optical cable

Been thru the whole of the codes on the TIVO, after checking the remote was programmed to my TV first as oper above suggestions, and can't find one that works to mute the Bush soundbar or control the volume. Got one code that changed the source on the soundbar to FM radio but that was all.. on a few attempts of trying to loop thru the codes I got some that changed the source on my TV at one point.  Tried connecting it to the Tivo with the optical cable to see if that would make a difference with the remote codes but nothing worked Smiley Sad

Anyone got a Bush soundbar and have any codes I could try please?

so far I have a TV that the remote only changes the volume on and a soundbar that the Tivo remote won't change anything on.. grrrrr..   I'd say I was pretty techy but have never got into the sound thing so that is my one area I don't know much about.. and now have 2 other remotes I have to use. .the TV one is huge and the soundbar one is teeny.. at least I don't have a tinny sound anymore.. /endmoan Smiley Surprised

0 Kudos
willz2301
Just joined
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

i know this questions area is quite old but im still hopeful. 

I have followed the steps you have said and seems to be working for everyone else but i cant get it to work for a Toshiba PA5089e sound bar. 

even when i do the process manually, the sound never mutes and so an acceptable code cant be taken. 

i also tried programming the remote to the tv first and then the soundbar but again nothing happens. the tv does turn off as the steps says but thats as far as i can get. 

id say i was pretty smart but i cant figure this one out. 

used the pdf codes sheet, done maually, and tried to do against the tv then the soundbar but no hope. 

Any ideas?  

0 Kudos