Menu
monoecho
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sony Trinitron TV Remote Code

Hi All,

I am trying to program my Tivo remote to control the volume on my CRT TV. I have a Sony Trinitron KV-21LS30U with an RM-887 remote control.

I have spent 5 hours now trying to get the Tivo remote to mute and or change the sound level all to no avail.

I have followed the instructions for setting the TV codes and also tried AV device codes - nothing appears to work. I have trawled the internet looking for solutions - all to no avail.

The Humax system that this Tivo replaces simply just worked....

It surely can't be this hard, can it?

Any help at all would be very much appreciated,

Thanks,

Tim.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sony Trinitron TV Remote Code

I assume you've gone through the searching option for the codes as well (where it iterates through every code until something works)?

I assume the Humax box was fairly old as well?

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
monoecho
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for getting back to me - yep, i've sat there pressing CH up and nothing...once, the TV did switch off, (as it's supposed to do) but when I switched it back on again, using the tv remote, nothing on the Tivo remote worked. I.e. the mute/sound up/down did nothing.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I fear your TV may be too old for the remote codes contained within the TiVo remote.

Semi-seriously, is it worth considering a new TV? - the power consumption of a CRT can't be small versus even a few year old LCD (I think our old 28" CRT was drawing ~250W versus ~45W for the 40" LCD which itself is 6 yrs old)

To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
monoecho
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I realise the TV is old - but the current draw is actually quite low for this set, and it works flawlessly - that's why I've never changed to flat panel.

At no point did anyone explain this was going to be this hard - if they did I would not have changed from the Humax box. In almost every way the Tivo service is worse, I now have: no mute or volume control, the program guide is small and virtually unreadable - even the ergonomics for the remote are much worse than the Humax system.

Still, thank you very much for your help - it is much appreciated.

I'm off to consider whether I keep the service or not....(it was only installed yesterday), I fear a cancellation coming on!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

While I agree the remote is somewhat of an acquired taste, the TV may well be a significant part of your issue - the TiVo will output SD via SCART, but over the past couple of years everything has slowly been optimised for HD displays which will likely include the guide as well. It's clearly not scaling particularly well down to (I assume) 16:9 SD resolution.

Given you're still within the cancellation period, is it worth trying with another TV (borrowed, of course) as a comparison?

This isn't "you must buy a new TV to make TiVo work at all", that would be completely ridiculous to suggest. However, if you're at the point of feeling it's unsuitable already and you have the option to see the difference, it would be remiss not to try before returning.

0 Kudos
monoecho
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I had thought about borrowing a new TV, but the design of the EPG is, quite frankly horrible, compared to what I am used to with the Humax system. Even the ridiculous ethernet and USB connections won't allow me to play a movie stored on my PC or USB drive on the TV. (Mind you, I had already discovered this before placing the order).

It does seem to come down to 'buy a massive telly' - in order to be able to use the system effectively, and read the EPG. It's not that I mind this - it's just that Virgin sales staff don't mention any of this when you ask - and I did. That makes the whole experience feel exceptionally poor.

Still, many thanks again for your help - it's much appreciated and I will take on board your advice.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I don't think an huge TV is necessarily required, but one of high enough resolution to take advantage of the finer detail which yours at present cannot display.
Though, sticking my engineering hat back on, you would need a size increase in the TV in order to fully resolve the additional detail in the picture compared to current, or move closer to the now thinner (and likely therefore further away) display.

Surprisingly, Curry's have quite a few Full HD TVs for <£200, in varying sizes.

There perhaps, however, should be a note made to query new customers on the type of TV that they have prior to an installation to make them aware of the difficulties which may be encountered should they not be using an HDTV. The service will work however, as you've encountered, the experience will be somewhat diminished.

0 Kudos