Menu
Icabal
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Smart TV + TiVo Functions Stopped Working

When I first got my Smart TV just over a year ago I managed to get the universal remote control tuned in so I could switch the TV and TiVo box on and off, change channel, access the TiVo menus and go back pages or back to TV.

About 6 months ago the back button stopped working on the remote control on the TiVo screens (My shows etc), the back button still works on the smart TV but but when used with TiVo screens it just says Not Available.

The past few weeks my TiVo box has now stopped switching on with the TV and I have to manually press the equivilant of the home button on the universal remote to turn the box on after the TV has booted up, this also appears to have happened after an update to the TiVo Firmeware.

What I want to know is can I get any of the lost functions back as they were working before.  I have tried resetting the TV and resetting up the IR extender connection to the TiVo box but this has had no effect.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Smart TV + TiVo Functions Stopped Working

Who is the owner of this issue? Your TV supplier or Virgin Media?

I believe it is the former.

0 Kudos
Icabal
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

As the link between the two was working fine until Virgin Media updated the firmware on the TiVo box and now its stopped working then the actual fault lies with Virgin Media and the software update they put out.

If a company making a program that runs on windows, stops after they update it you dont go running to ask Microsoft what to do you ask the actual supplier?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Icabal wrote:

As the link between the two was working fine until Virgin Media updated the firmware on the TiVo box and now its stopped working then the actual fault lies with Virgin Media and the software update they put out.

Sorry that's wrong.

Virgin Media produce a box that is compatible with their own remotes. That's all. If a TV maker has decided to make their TV work with a Virgin Media set top box, then it's up to that TV maker to alter their product as required.

Icabal wrote:

If a company making a program that runs on windows, stops after they update it you dont go running to ask Microsoft what to do you ask the actual supplier?

And in this case the supplier is your TV maker, as they are the ones that have created the IR control system, and have included the remote codes that make it work. It is for them to resolve.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Icabal wrote:

@Icabal, Oh Dear. Read what you have just written. You have contradicted yourself and supported what both @BenMcr and I have said.

In your example, Virgin Media have upgraded their operating system on TiVo (their 'Windows') so you can't go running to Virgin Media ('Microsoft') because your TV supplier product no longer functions correctly with the new operating system version.

0 Kudos
Icabal
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to someone else on here who is polite and not condescending unlike you @ernie_c my issue is solved they walked me through getting the bugs sorted out and my TV remote control now works as it originally did with the TiVo box when I purchased to TV.

So now the back button and everything else is working properly again.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

OK I apologise. It was user error.

Would be useful if you could add reference to the solution in case others have the same issue.