Menu
davidbrivio
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Slow tiro box and problems getting a picture

I have been a Virgin customer since 2008 and with the old  V+ box never had any troubles. A couple of years ago I got rid of my TV+ and went back to the basic channels. I was offered a TIVO box and told that it was much better than the V=+, how wrong they were.

A technician came and installed it, got me a picture on the TV, changed a few channels,gave me the instruction book and was off like a bat out of hell saying it was all in the book.

Since then I have had a main problem of getting a picture when turning the TV on and it always takes 2 to 3 attempts before I get a picture. I've lost count of the number of times that I have reset the Tivo box which works fine for a few minutes then reverts to before.

My wife and I seldom watch TV so we have put up with the nuisance. However I have been watching it regularly and have got to the point where I cannot put up with it no longer. Like many other people on this forum I have abandoned Netflix, player etc. as it's pathetically slow.

I hope that you can resolve the problem by sending a decent technician around to sort it out as my wife cannot tolerate it any more and uses her tablet. She has also suggested that we go back to SKYE or abandon it all have Freeview and subscribe to another broadband provider.

Whoever invented the Tivo Box should be shot at dawn, is there any way we can have the old box back?

Thank you in anticipation.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Slow tiro box and problems getting a picture

If your not interested in the recoding stuff then i believe you can still request a VHD box (Don't know if its offered anymore as a main box). If you do get one be aware that it runs on the old Liberate platform so there are No apps, Netflix, iplayer and so on.

If the Tivo is slow then thats normally a sign of signal issues to the box. 

For the getting the picture up. when the screen is blank are you able to see the menus?

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos
sharrattm
Superfast
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

>>If the Tivo is slow then thats normally a sign of signal issues to the box. 

It is worth getting the levels checked, but don't get your hopes up that is the solution.
There are countless reports of slow Tivos on here where the signal levels have been checked & found not to be at fault..

It's Virgins badly written software 'upgrades', and hugely inefficient (unusable) apps, combined with the lack of any hardware upgrades that are the cause of most of the slow Tivo issues.

0 Kudos
sharrattm
Superfast
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

you should call 150 & report a fault to see if they can check it out for you... and if there is a fault hopefully it can be fixed! rather than it just being another slow frustrating bad Virgin Tivo experience.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

davidbrivio wrote:

Thanks for the info. Sounds racist I know but have trouble speaking the our friends in India, or wherever. Don't have the same trouble talking face to face though but will try again.

No its not racist. Thay are just pure and simple USELESS.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If your not interested in the recoding stuff then i believe you can still request a VHD box (Don't know if its offered anymore as a main box). If you do get one be aware that it runs on the old Liberate platform so there are No apps, Netflix, iplayer and so on.

If the Tivo is slow then thats normally a sign of signal issues to the box. 

For the getting the picture up. when the screen is blank are you able to see the menus?

0 Kudos
sharrattm
Superfast
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

>>If the Tivo is slow then thats normally a sign of signal issues to the box. 

It is worth getting the levels checked, but don't get your hopes up that is the solution.
There are countless reports of slow Tivos on here where the signal levels have been checked & found not to be at fault..

It's Virgins badly written software 'upgrades', and hugely inefficient (unusable) apps, combined with the lack of any hardware upgrades that are the cause of most of the slow Tivo issues.

0 Kudos
davidbrivio
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I turn on the TV, a signal comes up then the screen goes blank. I try this again and with luck get a picture,sometimes it takes 3 or 4 attempts. As for Netflix etc. can easily do without it and as for apps have never used them.

0 Kudos
sharrattm
Superfast
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

you should call 150 & report a fault to see if they can check it out for you... and if there is a fault hopefully it can be fixed! rather than it just being another slow frustrating bad Virgin Tivo experience.

0 Kudos
davidbrivio
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info. Sounds racist I know but have trouble speaking the our friends in India, or wherever. Don't have the same trouble talking face to face though but will try again.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

davidbrivio wrote:

No its not racist. Thay are just pure and simple USELESS.

0 Kudos