Menu
Hounds
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Slow response from TiVo box

My TiVo box has become very slow and sometimes unresponsive, can you help please

Helpful Answers
Pete_Pirata
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Slow response from TiVo box

Hi There, this worked for me.....As well as clearing all suggestions and preferences, I got this helpful advice from Josh of the Virgin Forum team and it worked.. To clear the cache on the TiVo® just go to the Home screen and press Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Play, Play. You'll hear a 'ping' noise and the screen will go blank for a few seconds. After 30 seconds the screen came back on and the box was much faster... Hope this helps others. Peter

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hey Hounds

Welcome to the Community, I'm sorry to learn about the problems with your TV service, I've been able to locate your account and run some tests on the box from our end for you.

We're not detecting any problems with it from our end at the moment, are you able to reboot the box after reading this message so I can take a look at the error logs for a short space of time? As the box has been turned on for some time.

Look forward to hearing from you

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

marsboy
Up to speed
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

If you search this forum for slow tivo there are hundreds of threads on the same topic. VM staff simply talk about signals, but nothing ever improves, its just a slow box - espeically with the latest update.

Some of the other posts might offer some tips about speeding up slightly, but there has been no fix for a sluggish tivo since it launched - the box is just not up to what services are being provided by virgin - but they will never admit it, just waste your time with signal levels, technical problems and even sending a engineer to swap the box that will literally do nothing except loose all your recordings.
richard49
Up to speed
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I'm having exactly the same problem since the newest update, very slow box, BBC iPlayer not being able to keep up and stopping every minute or so.

If I go to the BBC iPlayer in my smart TV menu it runs fine, just not through the Virgin box.

Lot's of people are complaining about the box being slow so wouldn't you think it was at your end that the problem lies Virgin?

marsboy
Up to speed
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

In my opinion (as I dont work for Virgin Media, no idea how the network works, but am technical) the problem is with the software/hardware of the Tivo box. Quite franky if you look at the specs your smartphone is more powerful than the tivo box.

The software is based on flash, which isnt the best for memory use.

That, I think, is the problem with Tivo. Virgin will never admit it - as it would mean we are paying for a service that isnt up to spec, but all this talk in forums about signal levels is confusing the matter and making customers more frustrated. I have had my singla level adjusted 8 or 9 times in the last 3 years, and it has never made any difference. Every software update, it gets slower quicker. Used to be that a reboot once a week as alright, when it starts to slow, reboot it. Since the newest update last week, now its a daily reboot or it takes me up to 30 seconds to get into the tv guide. Thats on both my tivos (one is samsung and one is a cisco, one is 2 years one is 2 months).
Hounds
Tuning in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your response,I have turn off the box and restarted as requested.

Regards 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that Hounds

I'll keep an eye on things from our end and let you know how it goes, if you could do the same from your end that would be great.

Apologies again for the inconvenience you're experiencing

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hounds
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Craig 

Just to let you know TiVo response has if anything got slower, had to wait ages tonight to get into my shows and again waiting for selected programme. Really frustrating as I find internet speed good but this is not good service being let down by the TiVo box,perhaps it's time to change.

Kind Regards

a

Pete_Pirata
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi There, this worked for me.....As well as clearing all suggestions and preferences, I got this helpful advice from Josh of the Virgin Forum team and it worked.. To clear the cache on the TiVo® just go to the Home screen and press Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Play, Play. You'll hear a 'ping' noise and the screen will go blank for a few seconds. After 30 seconds the screen came back on and the box was much faster... Hope this helps others. Peter
Hounds
Tuning in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info,will give this a try later.
0 Kudos