Menu
Browser01
Superfast
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Slow menus.... possible cure from VM source (ignore the spoiler alert .. can't edit it on android tablet)

Spoiler

I found this suggestion from Rose B at the forum team very helpful. 4 days in and the menus are as fast as they have ever been.  Kudos given to Rose on original post. If this is a firm fix (feedback from others required) it should be made a sticky.

Home - Help and Settings - Clear or Reset TiVo box - Clear Thumb Ratings and Suggestions.

Then enter your pin, press thumbs down 3 times and then the LastCh button which you will find at the bottom right of your remote.

The box will then reboot and start the clearing process until it loads back up to the Home page.

This will not delete any of your recordings by the way, only your thumb ratings and suggestions.

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow menus.... possible cure from VM source (ignore the spoiler alert .. can't edit it on android tab

New and improved Snake Oil v10.4.2.3. 

(oh and if it does actually work, which I doubt, then Virgin should fix the bug that causes thumbs to make Tivo unusable instead of forcing customers to lose even more functionality and by giving a hack, sticky status. Given that they do not think there are any issues, I can't see it happening.)

No offence OP and if is provides a temporary workaround for you (and others) then great but there must have been a dozen or more of these desperate generally short-lived "fixes" in recent months so I will remain cynical until and unless Virgin provide a proper fix.

0 Kudos
Browser01
Superfast
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow menus.... possible cure from VM source (ignore the spoiler alert .. can't edit it on android tab

Which is exactly why I said 'if this is a possible fix' and that 'more feedback was required'. If you try it and it doesn't work leave your feedback. If you try it and it does leave feedback. My box has been back to 'normal for tivo' for four days of intensive channel hopping, EPG trawling and dipping in and out of recordings with only brief seconds of pausing (unlike before). I understand your scepticism that is why I didn't post earlier. From what I understand this reset clears the cache which the update has to crawl over to eventually function. The temporary absence of suggestions and some thumbs up is a small inconvenience in getting back a responding tivo. I agree that the update should have done this automatically or should have provided us with this knowledge at the time. I really hope you are wrong and that this procedure is a proper fix. Don't knock it until you've tried it..... I never have : )

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Browser01 wrote:
I understand your scepticism that is why I didn't post earlier. From what I understand this reset clears the cache which the update has to crawl over to eventually function. The temporary absence of suggestions and some thumbs up is a small inconvenience in getting back a responding tivo. I agree that the update should have done this automatically or should have provided us with this knowledge at the time. I really hope you are wrong and that this procedure is a proper fix. Don't knock it until you've tried it..... I never have : )

I turned off suggestions a few years back when Virgin messed up the algorithm in an update and now use thumbs to track whether I have seen a particular film or not and/or want to watch it again in the future. As we know Tivo has no other way to track this information and only knows what you have watched for 30 days. I have wishlists for favorite genres/actors etc so the same films get recorded every 30 days. Sometimes I cannot remember everything I have seen. I check and if thumbed down, delete immediately from planner. Therefore until my contract end I do have something to lose although I accept that is my problem, as that is not what they are designed for, the facility is there to use it that way and I decided to do so. For others, that do use and rely on suggestions, deleting thumbs would be an unnecessary nuisance if they deleted them for no advantage.

If it works and lots of people confirm it, then so be it but I still think it is down to Virgin to fix it not expect customers to delete useful data. However I would be even more shocked and disappointed if a few dozens thumbs (which has been a major feature of Tivo since it was first introduced in the 1990's) were enough to bring Virgin Tivo it to it's knees in 2016. There are other "theories" like take out smartcard, reboot everyday, reset UI. Mods are just jumping on bandwagon reproducing them with no knowledge.

Again, not knocking you OP, admire optimism, hope it works out one way or another.

Personally, I would be looking at the new bad series link+ implementation, look at how many got converted to ALL channels in upgrade and then think how much extra work is involved checking 2 weeks epg on hundreds of channels, instead of 1 or 2 channels before update!!!! Tivo now processes epg 4 times a day, it was designed for once, plus since last year it is checking your subscription constant over network not using smartcard. All slows down.

0 Kudos
Browser01
Superfast
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Quote... "I still think it is down to Virgin to fix it not expect customers to delete useful data."

As do we all but I wouldn't be holding my breath for an OTA fix any time soon.

VM programmers have a bad track record when it comes to writing clean programmes, as another contributer with years of computing experience pointed out, "they probably have experience in writing packets of code but lack the knowlege to implement stable fool-proof programming".

I know from the experience of having the bbc iPlayer not working (when all other iPlayer sources worked fine) that these problems are often swerved by the mods. Eventually, (18 months later) they invented a new excuse of "utilisation" which is just another way of letting us know that their overloaded cable network can't cope with all of the hyperbolic promises contained in their advertising.

I have, for a long time, advocated that VM should publish, on their contract or at the very least in the small print, that " not all services are available in all areas". This would lower our expectations of what we can expect when it comes to the technology and equipment used in providing this product. AFAIK this rider/clause is still not used in VM's promotional material.

So in the absence of anything else meaningful forthcoming from other sources, we are where we are, and have arrived at the impasse...do we pro-actively attempt to achieve acceptable usability by trying a user implemented reset or do we sit back and grumble and get even more frustrated waiting for a fix. That is called Hobsons and your choice.

BTW... I am not a VM acolyte I too find the service frustrating, expensive, and convoluted. I'm just here letting other forum users know that this procedure has worked for me (so far, touch wood and fingers crossed) so please don't shoot the messenger or take pot shots at the contribution. I am passing on this method as it has helped me. B

0 Kudos