Menu
Maljomac
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Slow and Complicated Tivo

I recently changed from a V+ to a Tivo and ever since I/We have been unable to to use it without us ticking  a wrong box/window.  It is so infuriatingly slow and complicated because of  having to confirm a tick every time etc. Now if that wasn't bad enough I have seen a new box is being advertized just as we have got ours. Is this new box any better or is it just as complicated.

Regards

Malcolm

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Tavis75
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Slow and Complicated Tivo

Maljomac wrote:

I recently changed from a V+ to a Tivo and ever since I/We have been unable to to use it without us ticking  a wrong box/window.  It is so infuriatingly slow and complicated because of  having to confirm a tick every time etc. Now if that wasn't bad enough I have seen a new box is being advertized just as we have got ours. Is this new box any better or is it just as complicated.

Regards

Malcolm

The new box runs exactly the same software, just faster.

Not quite sure what you mean about having to confirm ticks though, in what menu?

Tavis75
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The suggestions are based off of what you record and also the thumbs up and thumbs down ratings that you give programs (setting a recording automatically counts as 1 thumb up, but you can do up to three up or down).

You can turn off suggestions but there's not really any need as your own recordings will always take priority and they do not count towards the used space on the box (they are automatically deleted when the space is needed)

elfin101
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Actually there are issues with recordings from suggestions. When you have 2 things recording, and a suggestion wants to record. We've had it change channels and affect the 2 recordings!
Tavis75
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

elfin101 wrote:
Actually there are issues with recordings from suggestions. When you have 2 things recording, and a suggestion wants to record. We've had it change channels and affect the 2 recordings!

That's true, I always record everything and watch it through "My Shows" so never encounter that situation.

All Replies
Tavis75
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Maljomac wrote:

Regards

Malcolm

The new box runs exactly the same software, just faster.

Not quite sure what you mean about having to confirm ticks though, in what menu?

Maljomac
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks Tavis 45 for your reply.

I have since found a multitude of various TV programmes which have arrived via the Suggestions Box . Programs which my wife and I would never watch in a hundred years. What basis is used to determine these programs? At the moment, after removal of said programs it seems to be running a little faster; or is it just wishful thinking.

Regards

Malcolm

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The suggestions are based off of what you record and also the thumbs up and thumbs down ratings that you give programs (setting a recording automatically counts as 1 thumb up, but you can do up to three up or down).

You can turn off suggestions but there's not really any need as your own recordings will always take priority and they do not count towards the used space on the box (they are automatically deleted when the space is needed)

Maljomac
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have already taken the suggestions off because I thought it would make Tivi speed up;eg, when you clear the trash from a PC it always runs faster but I still have to wait when I press a menu, quite often. I have to wait for the little circle, sometimes for perhaps 10 to 20 secs. for no apparent reason. If I go for Utube it can take considerably longer. My daughter has Sky, she was amazed at the time taken by Tivo to do the simplest of tasks. God help me if I make a wrong manoeuvre, we (myself, my wife & Tivo) almost have a seizure! It is amazing how worked up one can get by something so trivial!

0 Kudos
elfin101
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Tavis75
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

elfin101 wrote:

That's true, I always record everything and watch it through "My Shows" so never encounter that situation.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Maljomac,

Really sorry to hear that you've experienced some trouble with the new equipment.

In order to speed things and clear any unnecessary data that may be running in the background, just go to the Home screen and on your remote control press Thumbs Down, Thumbs up, Play, Play. You'll hear a 'ping' noise and the screen will go blank for a few seconds.

You can, of course, also Personalise your Virgin TV box, if you wish and remove the recording of suggestions.

Hope this helps,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

Maljomac
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi  Nat_J

Thanks for the help which did or did not work. It may be  a little faster but it is still not as responsive as our V+ box that we were required to change to by VM (and no doubt have to pay a lot more for in the future). Another gripe we have noticed is when the 'press the Red button' appears on BBC1 or BBC2, the screen sometimes goes blank for a couple of seconds or four.

Regards

Maljomac.

0 Kudos