Menu
anthony_b
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Slow Tivo

Anyone else having a real slow TiVo on the home button / menu?
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Slow Tivo

Hi guys, 

Welcome to the forums for those of you who are new and thanks for your posts. Apologies to hear your TiVo® boxes are running slow.

The first thing to try is giving it a reboot to see if this helps. Also, go through your recorded content and remove anything that you no longer want on there. Has this made any difference?

Finally, try this key sequence: Home > Thumbs down > Thumbs up > Play > Play > Play. You'll hear a 'ping' noise and the screen will go blank. When the screen comes back on you should notice the TiVo® speed up!

The TiVo® stores data that it uses fairly often in the cache so it can be called upon quickly. This sequence clears the cache and by doing this you remove all the background data freeing up some of the TiVo®'s memory.

Give these actions a try and come back and let us know how things go as we're here to help Smiley Happy 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos

All Replies
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Search the board! See top of board! http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Slow-TiVo/td-p/3195456

An awful lot of us but strangely not all. 

0 Kudos
anthony_b
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Yeah just noticed!

The answer is we need a machine which can cope I feel?
HavencroftKev
Up to speed
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I think everyone who is running on the new software is experiencing slow response times. My box is painfully slow, there are fixes that will help the box run faster for a short time, but why should have to keep deleting our recording preferences etc. its not our fault the boxes can't cope with the new software, was it not tested? There is a new box due out at the end of the year but I can't see VM giving all it's customers the new box without us paying a premium.
anthony_b
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I guess we will just have to see but it's frustrating that our competitors already have it
0 Kudos
HavencroftKev
Up to speed
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Yes let's see what happens, this new box looks superior to Sky Q. I just hope VM don't get greedy and give it to existing customers without to much cost. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi guys, 

Welcome to the forums for those of you who are new and thanks for your posts. Apologies to hear your TiVo® boxes are running slow.

The first thing to try is giving it a reboot to see if this helps. Also, go through your recorded content and remove anything that you no longer want on there. Has this made any difference?

Finally, try this key sequence: Home > Thumbs down > Thumbs up > Play > Play > Play. You'll hear a 'ping' noise and the screen will go blank. When the screen comes back on you should notice the TiVo® speed up!

The TiVo® stores data that it uses fairly often in the cache so it can be called upon quickly. This sequence clears the cache and by doing this you remove all the background data freeing up some of the TiVo®'s memory.

Give these actions a try and come back and let us know how things go as we're here to help Smiley Happy 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
anthony_b
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi kath

Thanks for that,I have done all this apart from your suggestion of

Home > Thumbs down > Thumbs up > Play > Play > Play. You'll hear a 'ping' noise and the screen will go blank. When the screen comes back on you should notice the TiVo® speed up!

I will try it and report back. I did read on another thread that there is an issue and that its cause the present box cannot cope

Best
Anthony
0 Kudos
anthony_b
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Kath

I have done that and will monitor it. Would you mind PM me in a week or so and ask for update?

Cheers

Anthony

0 Kudos
Scrapdoodle
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Slow is a relative word and our Tivo is definitely slower to respond than it was even a few months back.  It got considerably slower to start up when Netflix was added which we learned to live with but it can be up to 20 seconds from pushing the 'My Shows' button to the recorded item being actually up and running. It certainly seems to be suffering a retrograde step in technology, much like going back to a computer of 15 years ago. I haven't tried the suggestions for clearing the cache etc. as yet but as someone else pointed out, we don't need workarounds, we need a quality product.  

I am writing this because today I have received a letter from Virginmedia stating that they are putting  my annual charge up by £42 despite giving what appears to be an inferior service.  

0 Kudos