Menu
bobblejones
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Slow Tivo - fix or will move to Sky

I know many people have mentioned it but my Tivo box has been running slow for far too long now, ever since the last software update.

i am paying over £80 a month for a box that is becoming unusable it is that slow, i have tried resetting etc to no avail

I have been a customer for over 5 years now but am getting fed up with the slow box and lack of information on the new V6 box  

Can you look at my connection and let me know what options I have . If there is still no commitment to an imminent V6 release i have no option other than move to Sky and their Q service.

I await a prompt reply....

DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Tivo - fix or will move to Sky

have you tryed clearing your tivo box like delete everything to see if that works before you think they recommand this daily

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 27
Flag for a moderator

all this moaning about slow tivo. it is not as if the shows actually playback in slo mo

what are you going to do with the 5 seconds you'd save from having a box with faster menus ?

plan your lives better- start the viewing sessions 30 seconds sooner, then keep calm and wait for the show to startSmiley Happy

Bingley
Superfast
Message 4 of 27
Flag for a moderator

It`s a major issue so don`t patronise people. 

JamieMA
Up to speed
Message 5 of 27
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

all this moaning about slow tivo. it is not as if the shows actually playback in slo mo

what are you going to do with the 5 seconds you'd save from having a box with faster menus ?

plan your lives better- start the viewing sessions 30 seconds sooner, then keep calm and wait for the show to startSmiley Happy

I was going to make a jocular post about the changes of the OP getting a prompt reply, but then I saw your post, and realised the thread already had it's own comedian.

Whichever way you slice it the TIVO box is slow. People are paying, increasing, amounts for it, so they are entitled to have a grumble. Although, one can find light in all the darkness. We play a game where you have to guess how long it will take from pressing a button on the remote, and the TIVO responding. I won with 19 seconds last night....oh the fun we have.

cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 27
Flag for a moderator

sure , i enjoy a good grumble myself at times Smiley Happy

but this is such a 1st world problem.

how does sluggish channel change / menu selection translate to "unusable"

It's primary purpose  is to display live channels and to provide timeshifted recordings, and it does those two things very reliably.

you need to know what's upcoming, when your favourite show is next on, and you simply have to have the answer within 2 seconds, go ask google .

& as others have said - it will run much faster with a local cache clean.. + delete all the crud you'll never actually watch, and disable the auto recording of suggestions, so that it is far less busy..

& a powercycle always helps with recalcitrant electronics- sometimes you just have to show the device that is is NOT the household alpha male.

yes it's a pretty crap netflix interface but there are so many better ways to stream netflix...

I only see 2 ways for Virgin service to improve core services.

1) they invest lots and lots of money in better infrastructure ( don't laugh) 

OR

2) so many people go to sky, BT whatever...  that there's enough capacity to go around for us stayers

so sure, trot off to sky, but do have the sense to skim their customer forums first, so that you know what to expect Smiley Happy

be aware with sky  you will own the TV box - so anytime  breaks you pay for the repair or the replacement, and if a newer better model is released, well you pay again...

cybmole
Community elder
Message 7 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Bingley wrote:

It`s a major issue so don`t patronise people. 

a bit of trolling helps pass the time while waiting for the channel to change Smiley Happy

but seriously - major issue ?

a major ( 1st world , Virgin Media ) issue would be  having no internet for several days or having all your mail repeatedly lost or treated as spam, or your mobile damaged at the VM repair centre with no compensation.... all of which you can read about in other threads

a sluggish remote is IMHO, a minor issue.. in a list of things that Virgin do badly I doubt it would make the top 20 .

0 Kudos
JamieMA
Up to speed
Message 8 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Go on then, what's in the top 20 ahead of slow Tivo operation?

I will agree with cybmole on one thing. Don't move to Sky if you expect a panacea, OP. They have problems just like VM do. 

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 9 of 27
Flag for a moderator

i lack the time to type in 20, but will give you some for starters. I have not had the misfortune to personally suffer all of these, but they are all current forum issues

1 loss of internet - lengthy outages in specific areas

2. loss of TV service - ditto

3. lost emails

4, excessive spam

5. cannot send mail ( SMTP issues)

6 cannot send mail - too many recipients

7. very slow internet a.k.a. uoverutilisation

8. netflix freezes at 25% on all devices

9 mobile phones damaged at Virgins service centre , or lost en route

10 TV anywhere device regstration issuies

11, TV anywhere loss of service whenever there is good live soccer...

12. sign up incentives , vouchers never delivered, without months of chasing

13. on demand tv service broken for days/ weeks in specific areas

meanwhile back on topic. the way to get Virgins' attention on TIvo speed is not to threaten to go to sky,

what will focus their minds is if everyone with a slow box insists on an engineer visiat and a swap out- that will hit their bortom line hard enough for something to be done, sooner rather than later

For the record, my Tivo is fine,maybe I'm just lucky ?

AVGVSTVS
Dialled in
Message 10 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I concur cybmole
0 Kudos