Menu
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 36 (22,991 Views)

Slow Tivo box – solved!

VM are apparently about to release a new Tivo2 box to compete with the new SkyQ box. Expect it before the end of 2016 but don’t hold your breath! Until then a recent software update to Tivo boxes has made many of them intolerably slow to respond to commands.

If you are in this situation I have spent hours trawling the internet to bring together 5 ways which should improve the speed of your box (in the short term at least). They are listed in the order of least painful to most painful so work through them one at a time and report back which one had the most impact.

1)            Pull the card or of the back of the TiVo box and reboot. Apparently you don't need the card with the latest software and having the card may cause a conflict and slow down the box.

2)            Clear the cache: Home>Thumbs down>Thumbs up>Play>Play>Play. Box will then reset.

3)            Delete all thumbs and suggestions: Home>Help & Settings> Clear or Reset TiVo Box> Clear Thumb Ratings & Suggestions - press thumbs down 3 times then Last Ch on remote. The box goes into a reset mode, and then a few minutes later re-starts.

4)            Force a software update to newest version: Press and hold the standby button on the box (left hand side) until the lights flash, then release. Usually takes about 10 mins to complete.

5)            Remove deleted programs: When you delete a programme, it’s not really deleted but goes to something similar to a ‘recycle bin’ on a PC. To empty your recycle bin, go to your planner, select the ‘Deleted’ folder and press ‘clear’ which will bring up the delete option. Big downside is you have to do it for every individual recording which takes an age!!!

If none of these worked for you, try customer services but it is very unlikely they can do anything to help until the new box is launched so try to get a discount on your subscription at the very least. If you are not satisfied, you have a window of opportunity during Sept 2016 to cancel you VM contract due to the recent price hike. So TAKE ACTION now.

Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 36 (22,899 Views)

Re: Slow Tivo box – solved!

The problem with all of these is that they are a temporary fix. You see an instant speed boost they may well last for a week or 2 maximum but then you start chugging along again.
I know as I have done them all.
I don't agree that anyone should have to go through number 3) as it blasts away all your history it requires to make suggestions better but I do know it works but again only for a while so hardly worth doing.

The only way this is going to be fixed is by Virgin giving us all a V6 box if that is the latest greatest speedy box or they revisit the software they dished out to us all.

In contrast my Samsung 500Mb upstairs 70% full or so is the normal slow where as my 1Tb Cisco 85% full in the lounge is the main issue with even the wife commenting last night saying this has got even slower recently as she pressed live tv and sat there for about 10 seconds waiting for a picture to appear.
Up to speed
Message 3 of 36 (22,820 Views)

[ Edited ]
Ten seconds is quick try minutes... Even after all the temporary fixes still takes a number of seconds and degrades very quickly. Record so far is time to boil the kettle and make a sandwich about 6 minutes...

I have been doing the above for many weeks now. Been told there is no fault engineer sees no faults just a very slow degrading service which is actually getting worse and degrading more quickly as this goes by
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 36 (22,699 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes, certainly the speed boost doesn't last which probably points to a ram issue more than anything else. I suspect it starts caching to the hard drive as the memory begins to overflow which is what makes it so laggy.  Of course the 10Mb data streaming restriction doesn't help and neither does the bloatware of the last update. All the hardware in these boxes is pretty ancient now.

Mine was ridiculously slow for about 3 weeks and 1) and 2) made the most difference from the list. It's pretty sprightly at the moment so lets see how long it stays that way. I hope the Tivo2 is not too far away.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 36 (22,607 Views)

Have done 3) and 5) and it's already much faster. Many thanks.
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 6 of 36 (21,522 Views)

Just another customer dissatisfied with sluggish Tivo box, been a customer since NTL and recently "upgraded" to Tivo, really fed up with the clunky interface and extremely annoyed with the "speed" of the system especially after all the hype surrounding the Tivo not to mention the seemingly constant hike in prices based on "improvements" that I never utilise. I know it's just another rant but how many do Virgin have to receive before they do something about it !!!
Tuning in
Message 7 of 36 (21,497 Views)

My box is real slow as well. Takes an age to go from any menu to live TV. Oh if you want to go from a recording to live TV forget about it. I am also still annoyed they removed the music on demand as well.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 36 (21,370 Views)

Hi MikeO50,

Welcome to the Community, it's great to see a new face Smiley Happy

I am sorry to read that there is some slowness affecting your services in the home. I have been able to run some tests on the TV services and all services you have, It looks like there is an issue that would need to be addressed ASAP. The issue with your power levels.

This will need an engineer and I would like to arrange this for you, If you can have a little look inside your Inbox, you'll see I've sent you a Private Message. You can find this at the top right of the page, purple envelope.

Speak to you soon and welcome into the Community

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 9 of 36 (21,355 Views)

Why does the above message from BenD_H feel like a fishing attempt, especially as in his PM he asks for my email and virgin account details !!!
Anyone else out there know this guy?
Apologies Ben if you are genuine but it's always best to check.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 36 (21,353 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi MikeO50 Smiley Happy

I'm part of the Forum Team Smiley Tongue Check out Good folk to know in our Community Smiley Happy

I wanted to ask you for you details in a PM, only as it's more secure, away from unwanted eyes and sometimes people may have more than one address, we'd hate to send an engineer out to the wrong place Smiley Wink

Keep in touch and you are right after all, being vigilant costs nothing whereas security breaches can be potentially expensive.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos