Menu
Fletch33
Up to speed
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Slow TiVo since update

I've never really had any issues with my TiVo box and I've had it a fair few years, but since the latest software update it's now extremely slow when trying to use the menu.

I now get a loading wheel on a frequent basis and it's almost unusable.

Is there anyway of reverting back to the old software before the update?
0 Kudos
TheRazzaG
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow TiVo since update

I'm feeling the exact same. Don't ever use the apps or anything, but just navigating menus, moving from guide to my shows and stuff I've started seeing the spinning wheel. First I've ever seen it by the way. Girlfriend keeps saying how quick the sky+ box was at home... :/
0 Kudos
giggsy101
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

same problem here...do your recorded programmes play ok?

0 Kudos
TheRazzaG
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Once they start playing yeah, but yesterday I pressed play and saw the spinning wheel again, had to wait ~20 seconds for the recording to start playing. I wanna do a complete reset of it, but if I lose all series links/recordings AND it makes no difference I'll be annoyed 😆
0 Kudos
Fletch33
Up to speed
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

giggsy101 wrote:

same problem here...do your recorded programmes play ok?

Everything still works, be it watching a channel, flicking through the channels or playing a recorded programme. It's just the menu's either getting the guide to load, getting my shows to load or flicking through the menu itself.

Trying to do a search or use on demand is a real chore.

0 Kudos
Fletch33
Up to speed
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

After doing the thumbs up thumbs down, stand on your head and spin around thingimy bob my TiVo box had sped up slightly. This morning however it's back to it's previous sluggish self since the update.

Any chance of a comment from Virginmedia?

0 Kudos
boysim34
Dialled in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Same here as well
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi everyone, 

Apologies to hear you're having an issue with your TiVo® running slow. Smiley Sad

The first thing to always try is giving it a reboot to see if this helps. Also, go through your recorded content and remove anything that you no longer want on there.

Finally, try this key sequence: Home > Thumbs down > Thumbs up > Play > Play > Play. You'll hear a 'ping' noise and the screen will go blank. When the screen comes back on you should notice the TiVo® speed up!

The TiVo® stores data that it uses fairly often in the cache so it can be called upon quickly. This sequence clears the cache and by doing this you remove all the background data freeing up some of the TiVo®'s memory.

Give these actions a try and come back and let us know how things go as we're here to help Smiley Happy 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Fletch33
Up to speed
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Kath_F wrote:

Hi everyone, 

Apologies to hear you're having an issue with your TiVo® running slow. Smiley Sad

The first thing to always try is giving it a reboot to see if this helps. Also, go through your recorded content and remove anything that you no longer want on there.

Finally, try this key sequence: Home > Thumbs down > Thumbs up > Play > Play > Play. You'll hear a 'ping' noise and the screen will go blank. When the screen comes back on you should notice the TiVo® speed up!

The TiVo® stores data that it uses fairly often in the cache so it can be called upon quickly. This sequence clears the cache and by doing this you remove all the background data freeing up some of the TiVo®'s memory.

Give these actions a try and come back and let us know how things go as we're here to help Smiley Happy 

Thanks, 

As you can see above I've done all those things and the TiVo box since the update continues to have intermittent issues.

Admittedly I'm not an expert but from the wave upon wave of similar complaints since the recent update on this forum alone, I'd hazard a guess that the issue is the new update and not any of the Virginmedia customers not cleaning up their boxes on a regular basis...

0 Kudos
nomad34
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

My TiVo is now so slow one doesn't know if an action request (from the remote) has been received by the box. Such requests now take at least 40 seconds and often over 1 minute to become apparent. This is hopeless and driving my wife and myself mad. I can see from the number of posts here, that many other users have experienced the same or similar problems. So much for an 'Upgrade'!  

0 Kudos