Menu
sja
Dialled in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Slow TiVo now corrupting recording and playback

I've been putting up with a really slow TiVo for a while now, but while it was just slow menus that are just frustrating, I was putting up with it. My wife is constantly complaining and telling me to ditch it and get Sky instead.

Now another problem that I'm convinced is speed related (or rather the fact that the TiVo is simply underpowered).... I've been having this problem since the latest update that was deployed to fix the original slowness problem.

Here it is --- At the same minutes past each hour (it happens approx 15 mins past each hour at the moment) it seems like there is a background process being launched that is completly drowning the cpu(and/or)hard disk that is now causing corrupted recordings and playback freezing..

1. Recording corruption - anything recording on any of the tuners at approx 15 mins past the hour will be corrupt...on watching back any recordings, when I reach the corrupt part the picture goes blockly and breaks up and repeats and I loose what feels like about 10-15 second of the recording which is non-recoverable, rewinding and watching it again shows the same corrupt section of recording.

2, Playback freezing - anything that i'm watching back off the hard disk when 15 mins past the hour strikes will stutter and freeze for a good 30 seconds before recovering.. this time it is recoverable by pausing for a moment to allow the background process to finish, and then rewinding to watch the same bit again and will then play fine.... until the next hour when it happens again.

So you may think I should just put up with this if it only happens once an hour.... except when you think about it on a typical evening viewing when I'm often recording 3 things and watching back a 4th, all three recordings will corrupt at the same time and the playback of the 4th will be interupted, so the net effect is that I'll get broken/corrupt/stuttering viewing interruptions up to 4 times for every hour of recording.

My wife is begging me to dump this pile of poo and get Sky, but I'm resisting as I've always loved TiVo, I've been using one since 2001 (I have an original series 1 TiVo (non-virgin), in fact I was a Beta tester before  the original TiVo was even launched back then).... Now I'm running out of reasons to stay with Virgin, my wife will win the argument and we'll move to Sky Q if this is not sorted soon.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow TiVo now corrupting recording and playback

2, Playback freezing - anything that i'm watching back off the hard disk when 15 mins past the hour strikes will stutter and freeze for a good 30 seconds before recovering.. this time it is recoverable by pausing for a moment to allow the background process to finish, and then rewinding to watch the same bit again and will then play fine.... until the next hour when it happens again.

Looks like your experiencing Bug #357803. See here :-

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/TIVO-picture-glitches-at-10-mins-past-...

Unfortunately the bug has been ignored previously although it is being investigated again at the moment. It would help if the Forum team reported these occurrences back to the guy who is investigating the issue but they seem to want to stick their heads in the sand.

It happened on both my boxes which were eventually replaced after FIVE months!

Best of luck to you.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
sja
Dialled in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

frank_gm wrote:

Thanks very much for that, I've read through that entire thread and this is exactly the problem I'm having.

The only thing I don't understand is why I only started seeing this problem very recently, it started around about the time of the RC24 update, so I assumed it was a new issue relating to the slow running problems, but now it seems this is entirely separate.

The only other thing I changed just before this problem started was to remove the smart card from the slot; because someone on this forum suggested that this may help to speed up a slow TiVo. (God knows why this would help, but I was so desperate with the slowness I was willing to try anything suggested).

I'm going to put the card back in and monitor the situation to see if it's related.

0 Kudos
crypticc
Superfast
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Is your corruption= pixellation over moving areas of the image?

I wonder if my issue with pixellation may have this root cause.
----------------------------------------------------------
OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA in my SE London area 21 running since 2009, but potentially on its way to being resolved although still only 1/5th of advertised speed at times

Original TiVo video output scaling-bug

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings Scaling Bug

The day it started to go wrong again 2017

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

sja wrote:

frank_gm wrote:

Thanks very much for that, I've read through that entire thread and this is exactly the problem I'm having.

The only thing I don't understand is why I only started seeing this problem very recently, it started around about the time of the RC24 update, so I assumed it was a new issue relating to the slow running problems, but now it seems this is entirely separate.

The only other thing I changed just before this problem started was to remove the smart card from the slot; because someone on this forum suggested that this may help to speed up a slow TiVo. (God knows why this would help, but I was so desperate with the slowness I was willing to try anything suggested).

I'm going to put the card back in and monitor the situation to see if it's related.

Good question but the answer is, who knows.

One of my boxes was one of the first installed in April 2011. The other was a result of the V+ box swap programme, self-installed in December 2015.  The older one was my main box and I started noticing the problem in early May, this year. I started looking at the newer box and saw the same problem there.  The latter was not used as much so it is not clear which had the issue first.

Then began the long campaign to get someone to do something about it.  Six engineers, no complaints about them as they were as puzzled as I was.  When it was finally established what the problem was I then hit a brick wall as no-one, Forum team, Phone team, CEO team wanted to help.  I finally, through my own perseverance got to talk to the VM Tivo expert who knew about the problem but no-one had told him about my experience and that of others who were also reporting it so he had thought it was a very rare experience.  He re-opened the case with Tivo themselves and requested that my boxes should be replaced.  After yet another delay that happened and I kept in contact with him to ensure that the new boxes did not still have the problem. Fortunately they seem to be OK but how the problem starts is still a mystery.  That needs a body of evidence, which is here on the forum if they would only open their eyes.

I have read quite a number of posts from customers who seem to have the same problem but it is completely ignored by the useless Forum team so there is no more evidence being gathered.

Once I had my boxes replaced I stopped posting about this issue as I was fed up with having my posts on the subject deleted by the Censorship team and actually being banned (yes this has happened) for trying to alert others to the problem.

I have recently started to try to engage again with others who seem to be having the same problem in the hope that the Forum team will finally get their heads out of their rectums and start acknowledging the problem.

They may replace your boxes, eventually, but they need to go further and recognise the problem and build up a database on the issue.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
sja
Dialled in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

crypticc wrote:
Is your corruption= pixellation over moving areas of the image?

I wonder if my issue with pixellation may have this root cause.

Yes.....

What you describe is actually what it looks like when the mpeg-2 I-Frames are lost/corrupt and only the "predicted" frames (P and B frames) are played, so the movement information is being applied to the wrong source image resulting in pixellation.

This is what is happening to recordings because not all of the stream data is making it onto the hard disk in the first place.... Have a look at how far into the programme you are when the pixellation happens, For me it's always happening at about 15 mins past each hour, so for example, I would find that if I'm 45 mins into a show, and that show started at 20:30, then the corruption must have happened at approx 21:15 -  that magical time again.

Playback corruption is different in that the recording is fine, but the picture freezes and jumps because the data is not being read off the disk fast enough, therefore you can simply rewind and watch again normally when this happens....  as this bug would be happening in real time, all you have to do is look at your clock to see what time it's happening, rather than calculating when it must have happened like with recording errors.

This bug is causing both types of corruption when it happens.

0 Kudos
sja
Dialled in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

frank_gm wrote:

but how the problem starts is still a mystery.  That needs a body of evidence, which is here on the forum if they would only open their eyes.

I have read quite a number of posts from customers who seem to have the same problem but it is completely ignored by the useless Forum team so there is no more evidence being gathered.

They may replace your boxes, eventually, but they need to go further and recognise the problem and build up a database on the issue.

I'm noticing quite a few new threads being started recently talking about pixellation issues, these may all be the same bug, but because the forum posts are a bit simplistic and lacking in detail (i.e. someone just says "help, my picture is breaking up, what's wrong?") then it's impossible to identify if this is the same issue or if it's a poor signal issue).

frank_gm, are you saying that the problem was fixed when you were given a replacment TiVo? if this is what's required then I think I'll put up with it for the time being until there is a better chance of having it replaced with a V6 box.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

sja wrote:

frank_gm wrote:

but how the problem starts is still a mystery.  That needs a body of evidence, which is here on the forum if they would only open their eyes.

I'm noticing quite a few new threads being started recently talking about pixellation issues, these may all be the same bug, but because the forum posts are a bit simplistic and lacking in detail (i.e. someone just says "help, my picture is breaking up, what's wrong?") then it's impossible to identify if this is the same issue or if it's a poor signal issue).

frank_gm, are you saying that the problem was fixed when you were given a replacment TiVo? if this is what's required then I think I'll put up with it for the time being until there is a better chance of having it replaced with a V6 box.

To be accurate, the problem did not re-occur with the new boxes. There really is insufficient information to properly diagnose why the problem occurs and the VM expert kept in contact with me after the replacements to check whether or not I was still having the problem.

The obvious answer is for VM to have people in the Forum team who can do more than simply read from a template and are totally flummoxed when something different happens. There are also some posters who add to the problem by posting that it is an HDD issue when, at that point, there is insufficient diagnosis to confirm that. Look for posts where the member of the Forum team admits that they can't find anything wrong. That should sound alarms but they simply do not try to find out if this bug is the cause.

I have tried to point this out previously but was shot down by the various parties and, as I said above, I suffered the consequences.

Apart from the Forum team there are too many VM apologists on these Forums.

¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I wonder if this typical of the stick your head in the sand attitude of the Forum team

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Slow-pixelated-and-stuttering/m-p/3268...

¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
crypticc
Superfast
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Exactly that. Also it jumps forward and back several seconds, often missing many minutes from ten past to quarter past.  Kills walking dead which normally sets up the rest of the episode around then, lol.

Seems worst if there are extra suggestions using up the recording channels... say of the latest really show or rubbish comedy that Tivo is pushing onto me. And if I cancel and delete those you can forget about using box at all for a minute or two. It's almost like the hard drive cannot keep up,. It impacts live shows as well.

Very frustrating. Never did it on my original box but BOTH the first replacement box that replaced the original that suffered a total failure, and the second replacement did this.

Going to call again which will make it four boxes in one month. Don't know their business model but I am surprised there no follow up.

----------------------------------------------------------
OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA in my SE London area 21 running since 2009, but potentially on its way to being resolved although still only 1/5th of advertised speed at times

Original TiVo video output scaling-bug

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings Scaling Bug

The day it started to go wrong again 2017

0 Kudos