Menu
tempest1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 62
Flag for a moderator

Slow TiVo box

Got TiVo back in June, great machine, fantastic idea. 1 month later it slowed down, i thought, ok i can live with this. The box got slower and slower. Went on holiday for 2 weeks at the end of August and now OMG i cannot bear to use this system anymore, it is so slow, i feel like throwing that stupid peanut remote control at the stupid TiVo box, i hate it with a passion.

Redisign the stupid remote control, if like most people you channel surf and put the remote control next to you on the sofa it rolls everywhere, who's stupid idea was it to have a curved base, durgh its not user freindly, re-design this with a flat base, please.

Virgin media sort this machine out, speed it up so it can be used, i have done so many reboots its unreal. People say turn off the suggestions, why should i that is what TiVo is about, can't wait to get to the end of my contract and go back to Sky tv where the stop button when watching a recording actually stops the recording. I paid for a service thats inferior. When i was with Sky HD, guess what, the BOX WORKS.

Sort this out, otherwise customer services WILL be getting a lot of phone calls from me until i get out of this contract or they sort the service out.

Helpful Answers
jethrouk
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 62
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Slow TiVo box

I would first of all try a reset albeit beware that there are different levels of reset and full reset wipes the HDD too??????? for reasons only known to Tivo

but if it really is grinding to a halt (heard this a few times) it might be worth biting the bullet and starting over

tempest1 wrote:

.....can't wait to get to the end of my contract and go back to Sky tv where the stop button when watching a recording actually stops the recording......

...Sort this out, otherwise customer services WILL be getting a lot of phone calls from me until i get out of this contract or they sort the service out....

If it's really that bad you will have no trouble having Tivo removed if thats what you really want - if it's unfit for purpose it's not upto VM to decide & they dont need unhappy campers

-------------------------------------------------------------

TIVO desperately needs:

1/ Consecutive recording should be made by the ONE tuner not TWO
2/ List programmes by time/date (not channel) - People will watch their favourite film when its on, they wont wait until it's on BBC1 and thats the way it should be displayed
3/ Wishlists should have option to record in SD
4/ Wishlist should be able to find Movie 'Premiers' (where last aired = TODAY)

These could be programmed by a degree student in half a day
0 Kudos

All Replies
jethrouk
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 62
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I would first of all try a reset albeit beware that there are different levels of reset and full reset wipes the HDD too??????? for reasons only known to Tivo

but if it really is grinding to a halt (heard this a few times) it might be worth biting the bullet and starting over

tempest1 wrote:

.....can't wait to get to the end of my contract and go back to Sky tv where the stop button when watching a recording actually stops the recording......

...Sort this out, otherwise customer services WILL be getting a lot of phone calls from me until i get out of this contract or they sort the service out....

If it's really that bad you will have no trouble having Tivo removed if thats what you really want - if it's unfit for purpose it's not upto VM to decide & they dont need unhappy campers

-------------------------------------------------------------

TIVO desperately needs:

1/ Consecutive recording should be made by the ONE tuner not TWO
2/ List programmes by time/date (not channel) - People will watch their favourite film when its on, they wont wait until it's on BBC1 and thats the way it should be displayed
3/ Wishlists should have option to record in SD
4/ Wishlist should be able to find Movie 'Premiers' (where last aired = TODAY)

These could be programmed by a degree student in half a day
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Robert_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 62
Flag for a moderator

Hi tempest1,

Sorry you're having a problem with the box.

Do you just use it for recording, or do you use many apps?

We don't currently have any known issue for a general slow down of the box, although you are not alone in reporting this.

As such we are trying to find any commonalities.

Cheers

Robert Ward
Help & Support Forum Team

Got a problem? Check for faults online with our new service status and fault checker

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
0 Kudos
sps1013
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 62
Flag for a moderator

Robert,

Do I understand then that the slow response times could be here for a while then as you state that you dont currently have a known issue for the general slowdown?

Thanks
0 Kudos
tempest1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 62
Flag for a moderator

I primarily use it for watching and recording, sometimes use You yube about once per month but tend not to use the apps.

I currently have 21% used on the hard drive and 12 suggestions on the hard drive, however there are quite a few things in my wish list. I have noticed that as time goes on and the amount that is in the wishlist and series that have finished and are waiting to be picked up again in the future, the more the TiVo box has slowed.

0 Kudos
tempest1
Tuning in
Message 6 of 62
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info, i will bear this in mind when it gets too slow, i will bite the bullet and do a fulls reset of the system.

0 Kudos
MrXBob
Dialled in
Message 7 of 62
Flag for a moderator

Robert_W wrote:

We don't currently have any known issue for a general slow down of the box, although you are not alone in reporting this.

What? That's the biggest load of...!! Practically everyone on this forum complains about the speed of the box. It's not an 'issue' with the service - it's a hardware issue. The box is not fit for purpose. It needs a faster processor, more memory, it needs to be able to cache data from the internet rather than having to download it every time you press a button.

It is excruciatingly slow and Virgin Media know all about it. They just can't admit it now because that would mean admitting that they marketed and sold a product that does not live up to its description. And that is false advertising. It's also illegal.

Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 62
Flag for a moderator

Hi sps1013,

The problem we have is that people see "Tivo" and assume every fault is affecting every box.

This is untrue. Not all the Tivo boxes run slow, ours in the office reached 60+% with no "general" issue, Mine at home is 35+% again no "general" issue.

There are different issues that cause different processes to slow down on differnet boxes, but they all get lumped into one.

For instance, the 1st access to VoD on a given day will be slower than subsequent accesses due to the data being cached, rather than loading a large amount of data in one go. Or some people have issues with the trick play being slow to respond. These issues all get lumped together, when they are actually seperate.

They are being individually addressed and it's expected code releases will resolve or at least improve these issues (not necessarily the next code release).

Thanks

Robert Ward

Got a problem? Check for faults online with our new service status and fault checker

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 62
Flag for a moderator

Hi MrXBob,

Please see the above post.

As for "practically everyone" complaining about the speed, there are some people reporting speed issues, but I don't think "practically everyone" is accurate.

People use forums to report faults, not generally saying how everything is working great and they don't have any problems, so those posts are biased towards faults. So basing any fault rate on any given product from a forum without knowing how many people actually have that product and how many actually have issues is unsound practice.

Thanks

Robert Ward

0 Kudos
m0j00
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 62
Flag for a moderator

All you need to do is a search for "slow" and there are so people reporting the same problem me included.

There is a whole thread dedicated to this here

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/It-is-slowing-down/m-p/482887/highlight/true#M3125

My Services:
TiVo - 1TB & VHD 0GB, TV XL, BB XXL, Phone XL
loc: NG15 Superhub: R30 TiVo: 15.3-RC5-VMC-2-C00
Services Status
1TB TiVo 0GB VHD BB XXL Phone XL
Thanks for the sig ideas PrinterElf, Grumpy_Trucker.

0 Kudos