Menu
Chris-D
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Sky Cinema causing problems

Hi, over the last few days I have started watching movies on Sky Cinema... all works well until the end of the movie. When I tell my Tivo to now go to any Sky Channel, especially Sky News and Sky News HD [603], I get the "channel unavailable" message yet BBC News [601] and BBC News HD [604] are fine. If I power off and reboot the TIVO, lo and behold these channels are available again. It seems to be something to do with Sky On Demand, any ideas?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Sky Cinema causing problems

Hi Chris-D,

Thanks for your post on the Forum. I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your TiVo when switching over from Sky Cinema. 

I've been able to access your account via your Forum details and can see a problem with your TiVo, which looks to be the cause of this issue. We will need to arrange an engineer for you, so I'll send you a private message to take more details from you in order to schedule the appointment.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Chris-D,

Thanks for your post on the Forum. I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your TiVo when switching over from Sky Cinema. 

I've been able to access your account via your Forum details and can see a problem with your TiVo, which looks to be the cause of this issue. We will need to arrange an engineer for you, so I'll send you a private message to take more details from you in order to schedule the appointment.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Chris-D
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Back to same problem. Engineer called, carried out tests and diagnosed low signal level in street box. He told me that an engineer would deal with the problem, in the street, in the next couple of days. I asked if the engineer would need access to the house, he said 'no' it would all be dealt with in the street conduit and the main box down the road. I then asked if I would be informed when the stronger signal was working... he said 'no'.

That was a month ago. Tonight I went to watch a movie on Sky Cinema, for the first time since the engineer's visit, but got a screen error message that there was a problem with 'On Demand' and the movie wasn't available. Later in the evening I changed to Sky News HD (Ch 603) and got the same message... not available.

I have got normal Sky channels back now, but there is something just not right with Sky On Demand facility (which I am paying for under my TV package).

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris-D,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems with your television service. 

I've run testing to your TiVo® and can see a problem that will require another engineer visit. 

I'll send you a private message requesting further details so that I can arrange an appointment for you. Just check the envelope icon at the top right of this page. 

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

0 Kudos
Chris-D
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Terri_P, the previous engineer visited, tested my Tivo and said the fault was not with the box but a weak signal level. He confirmed this by testing in the conduit in the pavement outside my house. He said that your test would show a fault with the box despite it actually being an external signal level fault (I have two Tivo boxes, you didn't say which one had a fault or if it was both). He then said that an engineer would come and raise the signal level at the distribution box down the street and also in the pavement box. He also told me that it didn't need me to be at home. I asked if the engineer would leave a note saying the work had been done and he replied that it wouldn't happen... so I have no idea whether the work was done or not.
Reading some of the forum posts it seems that the main cause of the problem is with Virgin's Sky servers being overloaded/oversubscribed, thus if I try to view a Sky Cinema HD movie I would get error 319, if I go back and choose the standard version, it works.

At present both my Tivo boxes give me HD Sky Movies... in the last few days, so all I can do is wait and see if it is a problem with my VM supply or whether it was a universal VM Sky server problem.
0 Kudos