Menu
MolyFam
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Sky Atlantic

Why is it we cannot get Sky Atlantic on VM?

There are some great shows beeing advertised - i.e. Westworld - and we cannot watch it! Man Frustrated

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Sky Atlantic

Because Sky won't sell the channel to third parties like VM and nothing in law or in business requires them to do it. It is a Sky exclusive

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Not quite correct Howard.

The OFCOM ruling you talk about only applies to wholesale of Sky Sports 1 & 2, & this ruling may be scrapped in future.

The simple answer is its a commercial market, & Sky can sell/not sell anything they own to whom they please at what price they please.

As they are channel owners & platform providers, if they choose to only output some of their channels to their own platform, there is nothing to stop them. If they choose to pay a premium to another channel owner, they can also buy exclusivity to that channel (ITV Encore is another example where Sky has got a "finger in the pie", & no-one else can carry it).

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Because Sky won't sell the channel to third parties like VM and nothing in law or in business requires them to do it. It is a Sky exclusive

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
MolyFam
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

However, there are many Sky Channels on VM Man Surprised

HowardML wrote:

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Heavens - that because Sky are obliged by the terms of their OFCOM licence to retail those channels, but that does not include Sky A. That is what happens in a competitive TV market. Sky are perfectly entitled to keep channels for themselves as their USP. You want Atlantic go with Sky or Now TV (owned by Sky). No other TV provider offers Atlantic.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Not quite correct Howard.

The OFCOM ruling you talk about only applies to wholesale of Sky Sports 1 & 2, & this ruling may be scrapped in future.

The simple answer is its a commercial market, & Sky can sell/not sell anything they own to whom they please at what price they please.

As they are channel owners & platform providers, if they choose to only output some of their channels to their own platform, there is nothing to stop them. If they choose to pay a premium to another channel owner, they can also buy exclusivity to that channel (ITV Encore is another example where Sky has got a "finger in the pie", & no-one else can carry it).

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Gnomey
Joining in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I'm new to virgin and I have to say I regret leaving sky as virgin are really not all that good 😒 I was told by the virgin salesman that I would have all the channels I had with sky ..... obviously that was all a lie
0 Kudos
jeffdmac43
Tuning in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Can you pay for it though or download if payed?

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

NowTV is probably the best option for Atlantic, somewhere around £6-£7 a month. I usually sign up for a few months when Game of Thrones is on and can also catch up with other shows from their On Demand service at the same time.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

jeffdmac43 wrote:

Can you pay for it though or download if payed?

As per the post above, unless you are a Sky satellite TV subscriber the only way to get the channel is either the NOW TV box (which Sky is a major partner in) or equipment with NOW TV built in, plus an additional subscription.

0 Kudos
jonathanlouis
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

moly fam sky tv own sky atlantic channel and i think sky tv  are not giving virgin tv their channel untill further updates or virgin dont want their channel i would like their channel but if you want atlantic move to sky