Menu
Barrow48
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Should my box be this noisey?

Hi, recently my tivo box has started to make a knocking noise that you can hear over the sound of the tv. It sounds like a hard drive operating but surely it shouldn't be this loud?

cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Should my box be this noisey?

an increase in noise usually means the hard drive is about to fail completely

ask or a replacement. could be the noise is coming from a faulty fan , not from the HD, but if the cooling fan fails, then the HD will overheat & be next to go ...

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Barrow48,

A warm welcome to our community Smiley Happy

I wanted to pop by and see how things are today with the TiVo®.  Is it still making the knocking sound?  If so, let me know and I can help you further.

I'm here to help if oyu need me.

Collette. Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

Barrow48
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Yes it's still making the loud knocking sound, what are my options?

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

options ? here's some.

1. unplug it & give it a good shake - will probably kill it completely but then you can have a new one Smiley Happy

2. try ear-to-box or ear-to - a rolled-up-tube- to box so work out exactly where the noise is coming from. then google pictures so see what component is in that location

3. test to see if the knocking noise is there always, /only on playback/ only when recording....

4. put a slab of foam under it 

whatever you deicide, be aware that  any swap out will lose all tour recordings ,and that there's  no way to copy shows form tivo to USB, so get stuff watched while it still works !

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Barrow48,

Thanks for your reply Smiley Happy

It's worth giving it a try to place foam cushions under the box to help reduce the sound of the clunking.  From what has been described I don't think that will work.  I would like to arrange for an engineer to call round for you and get this fixed.

As cybmole mentioned, if a box swap is required all recordings sadly will be lost as they can't be transferred to any other box or device.  I will pop all the details in a private message for you. 

Look for the purple envelope icon above.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
stiv1
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

it looks like this is a common fault and virgin's quality control has failed badly.

0 Kudos