Menu
vittj
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Sharing two Tivo boxes

I want to share 2 Tivo boxes in different rooms on the ground floor. My superhub is upstairs. I don't have a smartphone and no interest in using one to control (or watch) TV.

Is it possible to connect them using a powerline adapter for each Tivo box and disregard the Superhub? Basically I'm hoping to use the house wiring instead of an ethernet cable to join the two boxes.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Sharing two Tivo boxes

DO you mean you want to stream from one TiVo to another?

In that case no, you need to go TiVo  to HUB via powerline, Tivo 2 to HUB via powerline (YOU would only need 3 powerline adapters- one HUB end, then pair BOTH TiVo end ones to that)

American Tivos can talk via a crossover cable. MRS on VM TiVo's requires access to your account, but that is done through the built in cable modem. So whilst in theory that could work. Its LIKELY it wont as both TiVo's want an IP address allocated by DHCP. Havent tested myself but method one will work.

You could try rigging them up with a crossover cable, id be interested to know how you get on.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

DO you mean you want to stream from one TiVo to another?

In that case no, you need to go TiVo  to HUB via powerline, Tivo 2 to HUB via powerline (YOU would only need 3 powerline adapters- one HUB end, then pair BOTH TiVo end ones to that)

American Tivos can talk via a crossover cable. MRS on VM TiVo's requires access to your account, but that is done through the built in cable modem. So whilst in theory that could work. Its LIKELY it wont as both TiVo's want an IP address allocated by DHCP. Havent tested myself but method one will work.

You could try rigging them up with a crossover cable, id be interested to know how you get on.

vittj
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the information.

Yes, I want to stream from  one TiVo to another. Since I want to keep things simple, I'll go and buy another powerline adapter to go with the pair that have just arrived.

I'm no superuser - I stretching to get to powerline :-)

0 Kudos