Menu
Keef500
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Setting standard channel numbers to HD

Sky and FreeviewHD have had this for a while I believe; channels 101-105 (at least) are the HD versions and the SD versions are elsewhere in the channel list.  The reverse of what's on TiVo.  Can this be set up on the TiVo box (or the upcoming V6 box)?

I know the channels are all there in the list and I can set the programme guide to HD only, but this is an unnecessary faff in this day and age, with a majority of viewers having HD televisions (I presume) I would have thought it would make sense to switch the channel feeds around.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Setting standard channel numbers to HD

The SD versions of the channels on Sky are still at 101-104 though 5HD is at 105, regional broadcasts are still in SD and ATM cannot be switched

0 Kudos
darp63
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The numbers of the HD channels don't bother me as much as the fact that I live in the west country but get ITV Central on the HD channel.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Keef500 wrote:

Sky and FreeviewHD have had this for a while I believe; channels 101-105 (at least) are the HD versions and the SD versions are elsewhere in the channel list.  The reverse of what's on TiVo.  Can this be set up on the TiVo box (or the upcoming V6 box)?

I know the channels are all there in the list and I can set the programme guide to HD only, but this is an unnecessary faff in this day and age, with a majority of viewers having HD televisions (I presume) I would have thought it would make sense to switch the channel feeds around.

The basic PSB channels have prescribed slots allocated by OFCOM, & providers cannot deviate from this.

The prescribed channel for BBC1 SD on Freeview is channel 1. On Sky, Freesat & Virgin it is channel 101 (as the boxes can only cope with 3 digit channel numbers). The only exception to this is in the national regions, where BBC1 HD can be carried on channel 101 on all platforms. BBC2 HD is on channel 102 on Sky/Freesat in England, but as Virgins boxes cannot operate a split EPG for the remaining SD only boxes & V+ boxes not using HD, the SD channel must remain on 102.

Until the BBC/ITV english regions are all available in HD this situation will continue. Also C4 has yet to introduce separate advertising regions in HD.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

darp63 wrote:
The numbers of the HD channels don't bother me as much as the fact that I live in the west country but get ITV Central on the HD channel.

When ITV can finance the upgrade of the Westcountry studios, & Arqiva provides the necessary feeds, you might get it.

Satellite customers are getting updated regions first. Freeview HD & Virgin customers have to wait for the "hard wired" feeds to be put in at a later date.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos