Menu
LauraKDuggan
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Series link plus multiple channel issue

Hi all,

I've noticed an issue with the new Series Link +. I want to record the Olympics live programmes on both BBC1 and BBC2.

When I series link + on one of the shows on BBC 1 it works fine. Then when I try and do the same on BBC2 it *replaces* the BBC1 series link + with one for BBC 2.

I have tried using the "All" on the channels option on the series link. This seems to chose BBC wales instead of BBC 1 recordings and also spams my planned recordings with probably about 100 Red Button recordings which I don't want to have to go through and cancel by hand.

With the old series link you had control over which channels you wanted to record on - the new series link + seems to be a step backwards in this regard.

Any ideas how to do what I want gratefully received.

Ta,

Laura

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Series link plus multiple channel issue

Total agree but there is nothing you can do about it. Some people posted about it being a disaster and buggy before it was rolled out but it went ahead regardless. You now have to micro manage everything, otherwise you just get lots of duplicate recordings and clashes cause other programs to fail.

0 Kudos
LauraKDuggan
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

That's annoying!
Does anyone from virgin media monitor these forums? If not is there a better way to complain directly? Or is it possible to rollback to the old version? I never agreed to an update that I can recall!
0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Not sure what you have done - but it works fine here.

I selected one of the programmes  "Live: Olympic Games" on BBC1 and created a SL+

I then amended the SL+ to do recordings only (not streaming), always HD and on all channels.

None of the Red Button programmes appeared as they are done specifically by event.

The only issue are there are so many - the disc will soon fill up

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
LauraKDuggan
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for trying it out!
I think the difference is that I do not want it in HD (you are right it will fill up too fast!). If I use the "never" option for HD it choses bbc Wales on channel 864 even though I'm not in Wales! No idea if the coverage is any different but would rather have regular BBC 1 just incase. I can't see any way to change this other than by doing every show by hand. Let me know if you can see any way without losing the bbc2 recordings too!

Some more detailed info for interested people: no associated question.
I've now figured the red button stuff seems to be included if I chose to video the "non-live" stuff. There was a highlights show on bbc2 i wanted to video and somehow (bad default?) that series link plus ended up being all channels too. The red button nonsense is fixed as long as I choose just bbc 2 for "non -live". Hopefully I will be able to spot manually if the highlights move channel at some point.
(A complication that didn't help when trying to untangle this is that some of the cancelled red button planned recordings hang around with a cross next to it after the channel setting is fixed. This because recordings that were already greyed out maybe because of lack of space don't seem to get purged when series link plus settings are changed which is another nice bug I've noticed before).
I used to write software for a living. If I put this out I would have been fired!
0 Kudos
NicolaW309
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I've just experienced this exact same issue from yesterday with the live Olympics programmes.  I had 3 separate normal, old style series links set on BBC1, BBC2 and BBC4 but yesterday there was only one series link in my list and it's now a series link plus.  However this single series link plus has changed a number of settings, like non-HD channel to only HD channels.  It is trying to record (and sometimes has recorded) the exact same programme on BBC Wales, BBC Scotland, BBC audio description etc and this has thrown up numerous clashes which is affecting other recordings.

I tried to delete that series link plus and set a new one but telling it to look for just that one channel.  It initially seemed like I could set 3 separate links up for the 3 channels, however only 1 ever seems to appear in my list of series links, yet in my list of planned recordings I can see series linked programmes on more than one channel.  It has picked up all 3 channels today but loses BBC1 after today.  It isn't picking up the red button channels as I can't even see those in the TV guide (I think because BBC seems to providing streams via the red button (ie you have to press the actual red button).

I got so annoyed last night trying to make sense of it and look at all the clashes that I gave up.  When I get home from work tonight I'm going to try again to figure it out but may end up deleting the series link and manually setting all of these programmes for the remainder of the Olympics.  I can see what the new series link plus is trying to do but it's not getting it right and making a bit of a mess.  And it's seriously not the right time to introduce something so flawed during the Olympics when it is having this kind of impact.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
LauraKDuggan
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Don't waste your time trying to use series link plus for the Olympics. It's not user error that means it's not working: the feature is so horribly buggy it can barely manage a simple weekly series and simply can't cope with something complicated like the Olympics. The latest software update should never have made it past quality control. I expect it will get fixed in dribs and drabs over the next 18 months or so. Anyway I did it all by hand just "wizzing" through the (now very laggy) tv guide and switching between BBC 1 and BBC 2. (Didn't do BBC 4 as I figured anything exciting on there would be shown again later on one of the main channels). It only took about 15 minutes to get to next weekend where the guide stops for now. Hope you didn't miss anything too exciting!
0 Kudos
NicolaW309
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I think I've learned that the hard way!  I cancelled the series link last night but this hasn't cleared the list of planned recordings so I'm manually cancelling them, and then manually (and slowly) setting each programme via the tv guide.  I've only missed 1 programme and as they repeat things so often on all programmes I haven't missed anything.  I'm persevering with BBC4 as they have been showing a couple of sports that I'm interested in, but they switch between channels mid-event.  My favourite sport badminton starts today so I'm hoping they'll show some of that on BBC4.

0 Kudos
fergiet
Superfast
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Same issue on my Tivo. Really bad. Not happy with the software update.

0 Kudos
Aine1
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I phoned virgin media technical help today. As I watch tennis Australian open which I record at night . I set up a series link for Eurosport 1 and then set up series link on Eurosport 2 when I did that it deleted series link on Eurosport 1.

Technical help said he had no problem doing it on line from his end. However I tried several times on instruction from him. In the end he also gave up trying to sort it out for me. I am back to having one series link on one channel and having to manually go in every day to record on the other channel for two weeks. Crazy please let me have my old system back which was a treat no problem.

Has anybody got any advise on how to resolve this proble

0 Kudos