Menu
Engineer81
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Series Link + firmware downgrade

I believe my TiVo box has been upgraded with the above firmware, as advertised in VM's justification for their recent price hike.

However this appears to be the straw that has broken the camels back. Something has to be done about this!

I am an electronic design engineer and spend the vast majority of my time writing firmware for embedded platforms and am all too familiar with processor limitations when it comes to video processing.

VM you have made a mistake! Ever since the plum firmware was introduced the TiVo box has clearly had memory issues. You should not have to restart to clear memory! A good firmware will manage it properly in the first place.

Following my latest upgrade the remote became almost none responsive, I had to wait 20 seconds plus before the TiVo box would respond to another remote button press.

As previously advised by one of your engineers I then performed the Suggestions and Thumbs reset, which did improve things. And then did the Home>Thumbs Down>Thumbs Up>Play>Play.

Things are better and I can just about use the TiVo without wanting to throw it through the window. However Netflix is still a waste of time, I can fire up my PS3 and begin playing a movie before Netflix would have even loaded on the TiVo box.

VM you seriously need to remove the clutter from the firmware and fix the memory allocation problems OR upgrade our hardware to something that can handle the bloat.

Also I had no problem with the series link function so why did it need upgrading? You know what they say, "if it aint broke don't fix it"

Your engineers knew the firmware was at its limits yet you have made it worse, were they simply ignored.

I'm sure I speak for everyone on here, when are we going to see the next generation set top box? There must be rumors as the ancient TiVo box still being dished out is quite frankly an embarrassment to a company that bases its business around speed.

Can I downgrade my box please?

Would a VM representative please give comment!

Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Series Link + firmware downgrade

If u get a reply at all it'll be the standard one. This is at the top of the board http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Slow-TiVo/td-p/3195456

There is a new box coming end of year.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Welcome to the forum.  It will be several days before you get any response from a VM employee. 

VM have already announced that their new V6 box will launch later this year, so no, you don't speak for everyone 'on here'.

If you are seeing such long delays then it is likely you have signal or other issues with your connection.   Call it in as a fault.  You will get a quicker response that way.

Maybe I am just lucky and have a good connection,  I don't get the slow response that some report. 

jamesofmerton
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

our update is fine as i said on here the other day. i checked with a couple of other friends and their tvos have no problems either. i've seen several on here talk about slowness but we havn't had that at all. maybe it is an area thing.
0 Kudos
fergiet
Superfast
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Our box was fine 'till last software change. Now it's slow, slow and slow. Did I mention it's slow.

Virgin have been aware of the issue for weeks and apart from posting that they know about it they appear to have done nothing. I suspect that as a new V6 box is on the horizon (pun intended) they will do sod all about it and hope we all go for the new box and therefore pay them even more money.

Not a happy customer.

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If some v lucky people haven't got the slowness issues on the new software then I suspect a fix for those of us that do will be a way away. And you can literally go away and make a cup of tea waiting for mine to load iPlayer or get to an on demand screen! 

0 Kudos
Engineer81
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The V6 box can't come quick enough for me.

For others with problems, register for the V6 box here:

https://keepup.virginmedia.com/befirst

My TiVo now requires a Thumbs/Suggestions reset every 24 hours, this is not good!

Following on from my first post, having got the TiVo back to a usable state it was then unusable again within 24 hours.

Can someone from VM please get in touch.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Engineer81, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's lovely having you here. 

I'm really sorry to hear that you are having an issue with your TiVo®. I've taken a look at the box and signal and power levels are all good. There is a very high number of timeouts on your box. 

We will need an engineer to come out and have a look at what is going on. I have sent you a private message to arrange a suitable appointment. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos