Menu
amonline
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Series Link+ Multiple Recordings of Same Episodes

As reported to Virgin Media on Twitter there is a serious issue with the new "Series Link+" feature (which is in general a good idea I've long wanted) whereby it is recording the exact same episodes of shows multiple times.

For example with a SL+ set to record the show "Gravity Falls" some episodes have been added to my recordings FIVE TIMES now, so for a show with a grand total of 40 episodes I now have over 70 recorded episodes and have already deleted quite a few.

First I thought it was just recording the same episode from Channel and Channel+1 showings, but now with 5 recordings taken over just those 2 channels it is clearly a larger issue with how the Series Link+ function has been programmed.

Additionally the record only "New Episodes" setting within the SL+ setup is not recognising the difference between "NEW" episodes and "New to a particular channel" so many episodes that are genuinely old but are brand new to a lesser channel are ending up being recorded. If this is an unavoidable issue then the SL+ setup needs to have the option to record "From Series X upwards" amended to always allow you to select a series number 1 higher than the most recently available series so that you can set up an SL+ entry that will automatically record on any channel in the future as soon as the "new" series airs, which you can't currently do due to it recording repeats that are classified as new on lesser channels.

Additionally since the recent TIVO update that included this new Series Link+ function all navigation and loading of screens is MUCH slower.. I thought the update was intended to speed up the screens and interface? Is this an issue others are experiencing? Is it being looked into already?

Please do not hesitate to contact me for any additional information.

Strum
Tuning in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Series Link+ Multiple Recordings of Same Episodes

I've just posted a problem ref. poor quality TV alluding also to the slow response time between controller and screen refresh. Just seen this post and it looks like what you say might be the issue. Although, whenever I ring up to complain they don't mention this. They take over the box and restart and say ring back in 24hrs if problem not solved. sick of them putting up price for unwanted new services when all I want is a decent existing one.

savik2
Up to speed
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

"sick of them putting up price for unwanted new services when all I want is a decent existing one."

Amen to that!  Tivo is so slow and clunky now, I find myself using the stand-alone iPlayer/ITV/4oD apps on my smart TV in preference to recordings/streaming via the Tivo.  Even when watching live TV, just pressing a button on the remote results in a few seconds signal drop-out.  I believe this is symptomatic of a lack of processing capacity within the Tivo box - it just can't cope with all the extra channels and the software upgrade.  If VM was to ask me which I'd prefer, I'd choose software over new channels.  But since when has Virgin Media ever listened to customer feedback?

0 Kudos
Strum
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

"clunky"

What an apt description, sums it up a treat. I agree with you, software over unwanted channels anytime.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello amonline,

The new Series link + has the functionality to save your favorite programs to My Shows from the TV Guide, On Demand, Netflix and YouTube but you can choose which channels you want it to record from.

You can select the channel you wish to record from by going to - 

Home - My Shows & Recordings - Manage My Series Links+ - (Choose a program) - Modify Recording Option - (Scroll down to Channel) - (Select the channel you wish to record from)

Regarding new and re-runs, this is down to the broadcaster because the program might be new to their channel so the information linked to the program will reflect this and the TiVo® will read it as new and record it. Unfortunately we're unable to stop this so I would recommend selecting what channel you wish to record from in Modify Recording Options to avoid this from happening.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
amonline
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, no this does NOT help.

I am aware how the Series Link+ is "supposed" to work, however it does NOT work properly even in that way:

EXAMPLE: I have a Series Link+ set up for the show Gravity Falls, this show was only airing on the Disney XD channel (and of course its Disney XD+1 channel running the same items 1-hour later). Yet the TIVO box records every single episode MULTIPLE times, so a show that only ever had 40 episodes in total at one stage got up to 87 recorded episodes on by box before I saw the extent of the problem. 

TIVO-Series-Link-Plus-Issues2.jpg

See the attached image, this shows you how it has recorded the same episode, while it already existed in my shows, a total of SEVEN TIMES! The recorded episodes only ever aired on Disney XD and Disney XD+1, no other channel at all, and as you can see from the list NONE of them were classed as "NEW" episodes, they had all been shown before and so were all re-runs, and yet it decides to record each episode that comes up during daily repeats - it probably would have gotten way above 7 copies of each episode had I not stopped the link!

Are you honestly saying that when someone sets up a "Series Link+" for a show and sets it to record "New and Reruns" on "any channel" that you deliberately intended it to record every episode as many times as it comes on any channel until such time as the TIVO box runs out of space?! Or is it more likely that it is supposed to record each episode ONCE so that people don't miss a show regardless of the channel it is shown on? (With perhaps an exception made for an episode that has already been recorded in SD being recorded again if it becomes available in HD)

This is either a deliberately idiotic and unusable approach to recording OR it's a serious programming bug - which is it?

0 Kudos
UNKNOWN
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Rose_B wrote:

Hello amonline,

The new Series link + has the functionality to save your favorite programs to My Shows from the TV Guide, On Demand, Netflix and YouTube but you can choose which channels you want it to record from.

You can select the channel you wish to record from by going to - 

Home - My Shows & Recordings - Manage My Series Links+ - (Choose a program) - Modify Recording Option - (Scroll down to Channel) - (Select the channel you wish to record from)

Regarding new and re-runs, this is down to the broadcaster because the program might be new to their channel so the information linked to the program will reflect this and the TiVo® will read it as new and record it. Unfortunately we're unable to stop this so I would recommend selecting what channel you wish to record from in Modify Recording Options to avoid this from happening.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

quote: " but you can choose which channels you want it to record from."

Unfortunately since the last "update" we can no longer "choose which channels you want to record from". We could before but now it is either a single channel or ALL channels and as has been reported many times, that is causing major problems due to the poor quality guide data.

It is all very well blaming someone else but it is Virgin Media that provide the service and who are contracts are with so it is up to them to provide a service that works.

0 Kudos
amonline
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have it on good authority that due to issues with the V6 boxes it is highly unlikely that it'll launch before Christmas - and it'll have the same Series Link+ programming issue that existing boxes have with recording multiple copies of the same episodes of the same show - which I've officially been informed from 2 Virgin sources is not a "serious programming bug" as users would describe it but is "deliberate"!

...so I have today cancelled my Virgin TIVO and have managed to get Sky Q, 2TB Box, 5-tuners, mini-box for another room, Complete TV package with Box Sets (which includes Sky Atlantic that Virgin never managed to agree a price for), full Sky Movies/Cinema and Sky Sports...all for £42 per month!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello amonline,

Very sorry to hear you have cancelled with us and that we were unable to prevent this from happening but I do hope you're happy with your new provider. If you do change your mind then just give us a call on 150 free from a Virgin landline or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone and one of our team will get this sorted for you.

I wish you all the best

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
amonline
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes Sky-Q is good thanks - I didn't really want to leave Virgin, but with no-one with any intelligence dealing with or even admitting to or understanding the problem with Series Link+, let alone the stalling-to-a-crawl TIVO boxes (even though they have a better thought out interface), there was no point staying.

Unless/until Virgin actually fix the Series Link+ and start providing similar 4K and channel content I'm afraid I won't be back, as having Sky Atlantic access and loads of 4K live football isn't something I'll want to leave behind now.

Virgin has 3 big issues which it seems unlikely (and unwilling!) to come to terms with and solve:
1) It seems unwilling to admit to and actively fix software issues

2) After it cancelled its own Virgin 1 channel many years ago it never invested in its own content or channel again, and so has nothing to bargain with to ensure it provides all other channels/content, as has been demonstrated most obviously with Sky Atlantic 

3) It likes to tout itself as not requiring a land-line, but charges MORE to get the same service without a land-line than with it.

0 Kudos