Menu
Highlighted
DebbieJosette
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Second TiVo

I currently have a V6 box which from the single cable from the box on the wall via a splitter into the TV and Superhub 3. I also have an old TiVo box connected to the Superhub via an Ethernet cable and TV via HDMI. The TIVo is currently only set up for playback of recordings made when it was the main/only box. I now want to move the TiVo into my newly built extension and connect it to a new TV. Can I do this myself or do I need a Virgin engineer? Thanks 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Second TiVo

Presumably the old TiVo has a co-ax connection to the cable network as well and will need this in the new location as well as a connection to the Superhub there as well.

I would not suggest taking this on yourself. Virgin Media can do this for £99 all in, although you will have to provide powerline adapters (or a long ethernet cable) to connect the TiVo in its new location back to the Superhub.

0 Kudos
studio_54
Up to speed
Message 16 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@DebbieJosette

It seems to me that when you discussed the V6 upgrade with VM, they agreed you could keep your original TiVo box.  This being the case, it will have become part of your contract and should be included in your package which you can review online - if this isn't the case you should call VM and discuss.

It will also be important for you to be clear exactly what you agreed with VM regarding services available from your old box.  If they agreed it could remain part of your service, then they should have advised you of any engineer costs to relocate the box.  If it was agreed that you could keep the box without being connected so that you could watch your recordings, you'll need to be sure if this was for a limited time or whilst your new V6 contract was in place.

Happy to help further if you need - PM me...

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Presumably the old TiVo has a co-ax connection to the cable network as well and will need this in the new location as well as a connection to the Superhub there as well.

I would not suggest taking this on yourself. Virgin Media can do this for £99 all in, although you will have to provide powerline adapters (or a long ethernet cable) to connect the TiVo in its new location back to the Superhub.

0 Kudos
DebbieJosette
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

No the TiVo doesn't have a co-ax connection, just Ethernet to Superhub and HDMI to TV, which is presumably why I can't use it to watch Virgin TV, only shows previously recorded. So if I need another co-ax cable how does that connect to the Superhub, which appears to have only one 'port' for that?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Are you paying for the second TiVo? All active Virgin TV boxes need a coax connection, and Virgin Media should arrange that connection for boxes that are active on your account.

I'm surprised it still works for recordings without the coax connection, but at some point it won't.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
DebbieJosette
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

No, not paying for it. They said I could keep it for free when I upgraded to V6. The engineer set it up to playback because I wasn't anywhere near ready at that time to move it into my new extension.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

As Ben has said, the TiVo is actually not yours to use as it is not active and paid for on your account. The charge for an active TiVo would be around £7.50 per month extra.

Sounds like your V6 was a replacement for your TiVo and should actually have been returned or disposed of.

0 Kudos
DebbieJosette
Tuning in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

No - keeping the old TiVo for nothing was part of the deal I negotiated with Virgin when I renewed my contract, which is why the engineer set it up for me as a playback only option and activated it as such.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

...well he didn't set it up at all as he should be well aware that all Virgin Media set top boxes require an active co-ax connection to the cable network.

0 Kudos
DebbieJosette
Tuning in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

He set it up as requested because I didn't want a full set up to the same TV as my V6 box. I'm having a new TV in a new location, neither of which existed at the time he set up the V6. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Virgin TV is a paid TV service. All boxes must have an active subscription. All active subscription boxes must have a coax connection.

There is no circumstance where you should have an active box without a coax connection, and there is no official process where a box should be left without without it being paid for.

Even if the agreement you had allowed you to keep the TiVo box without an additional monthly cost to you, it should still have a paid element in your total cost - and therefore should have a coax connection.

You will first need to establish whether or not the TiVo box you have is part of your subscription.

Whether it is or not will then depend on your options. These are some general options, you may be offered some additional alternatives depending on situation:

If the TiVo is an active box, then you'll pay a one off £99 to have it moved to wherever you want in your home.

If the TiVo is not an active box, then to order an additional box, it's a one off £20 and then an additional £7.50 a month. If this is the case, then you might as well go for another V6 box instead of the disconnected TiVo. The costs for a new additional 1TB V6 are the same as a new additional 500GB TiVo box.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos