Menu
peteram
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

SLOW!!! TIVO BOX

My Tivo box takes about two minutes to get access into netflix and BBC I player. Have noticed on forum that several other Virgin Customers on forum have been having similar problem since as far back as 2015!!! My broadband modem was in another room but is now connected close to the Tivo box but this has not changed the speed at all. Is there anything that can be done to speed up access to Netflix and IPlayer or are Virgin just ignoring the issue ?

0 Kudos
vircom
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: SLOW!!! TIVO BOX

I doubt it has anything to do with your broadband. BBC i player has been reported as slow on the Tivo for years and last years updates crippled most everything else as well. If you want acceptable performance from Virgin you will need a V6 box. Alternatively a smart TV or add on box can give access to i player and Netflix etc.
Virgin have not ignored the problem, but they do expect you to pay for the solution (a V6).
Loosecanons
Up to speed
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

As stated before this is an old problem .
My solution was to get a Chromecast which works perfectly well . Netflix up in 10s.
Even high street stores don't recommend Tivo and I resent paying a premium for the V6 box .
When contract is up will keep broadband and return to Sk*y which you can get for £12 month for 18 months if you look round .
0 Kudos
Jimpim
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Having moved recently from BT to Virgin, due to a house move, I can certainly concur that the Tivo box is as slow as a week in the jail, trying to access Netflix and BBC iPlayer is like....let it do it and go and make a cuppa. Really  disappointed, because foolishly I thought cable (Virgin) was better than BT. Not as easy to navigate either, just a pity we didn't wait till the V6 was being rolled out as part of the package or are they still rolling out the TiVo boxes?

0 Kudos
Loosecanons
Up to speed
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I've asked the same question.

Unless you pay for the premium TV packages you still get the Tivo. 

Perhaps they will follow the same route as Sk*y who now roll out their new box to all customers but I wouldn't hold your breath.

My Tivo isn't too bad - try switching off 'suggestions' and clearing the cache from time to time.

0 Kudos
Furneaux99
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

For info I've just come off the phone having my monthly "When will the TiVo software be fixed?" moan and the chap told me that a software update should have it fixed on the 19th April. I'm in the Portsmouth area so some may get it earlier, or later, or he just wanted me to wait 6 weeks before my next call.

It still beggars belief that they didn't just roll the update back to the last working version.

0 Kudos
vircom
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have read that there are 2 manufacturers of Tivo boxes. Mine is a Samsung, which I understand is the slowest. I have never used suggestions or apps and regularly clear old recordings, clear the cache and turn off/on at the mains but it only helps a bit and needs repeating every few days. I can use my smart TV for iPlayer etc but I would prefer to use the Tivo. For now I just put up with the poor performance and await my next contract review date, at which time I will consider all options.
0 Kudos