Menu
cruising
Superfast
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

SKY Q BOX,,,VM MUST KEEP UP

Sky is starting to roll out the Q box. VM is facing considerable competition with this new piece of equipment. There has been nothing from VM on how they intend to keep customers from defecting to this new service.

The existing TIVO boxes are clapped out and are struggling to handle updates and must be replaced by TIVO 2 in order to compete.

We have endured a price increase but no promises of modern equipment.

The SKY Q box could be the start of serious customer retention issues for VM if they fail to meet the challenge. 

activa
Joining in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: SKY Q BOX,,,VM MUST KEEP UP

yes it would be good if TIVO was everything it was supposed to be at launch. If multi room streaming worked for all recordings it would make it a much better, we got two boxes in the promise that this would happen but only a handful of channels were ever unlocked for streaming between boxes. Very disappointing 

0 Kudos
Grumpy_Trucker
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Couldn't agree more. I ran ethernet cable through the walls specifically to be able to stream recordings between boxes. When the service landed it turned out that unless it's a recording off a minor channel (yes I know the list has grown own over time) then you can't do it. Copyright restriction and all that BS. These TiVo boxes, or upgraded version of them maybe, are perfectly capable of multi-room streaming, and streaming content to iPads etc. However, I don't think that's allowed even now is it? I could be wrong, not tried for a while.

The new Q box from Sky is capable of all of this and will wipe the floor with the VM offering, although it is a bit pricey yet for my liking. I suppose to be fair though, most of the issues with multi-room streaming not working on TiVo is down to content rights holders - almost always SKY these days sine they own everything apart form the terrestrial channels I think - not allowing VM to do this. I'm surprised Sky are being allowed to offer a service to their customers that a competitor is not allowed to replicate. Surely that's anti- competitive? Ah well, we'll see what comes but I can see me going back to SKY eventually. 8 channels recording, multi-room streaming, mobile device streaming. All sounds almost too good to resist.

0 Kudos
Grumpy_Trucker
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Grumpy_Trucker wrote:

Couldn't agree more. I ran ethernet cable through the walls specifically to be able to stream recordings between boxes. When the service landed it turned out that unless it's a recording off a minor channel (yes I know the list has grown own over time) then you can't do it. Copyright restriction and all that BS. These TiVo boxes, or upgraded version of them maybe, are perfectly capable of multi-room streaming, and streaming content to iPads etc. However, I don't think that's allowed even now is it? I could be wrong, not tried for a while.

The new Q box from Sky is capable of all of this and will wipe the floor with the VM offering, although it is a bit pricey yet for my liking. I suppose to be fair though, most of the issues with multi-room streaming not working on TiVo is down to content rights holders - almost always SKY these days sine they own everything apart form the terrestrial channels I think - not allowing VM to do this. I'm surprised Sky are being allowed to offer a service to their customers that a competitor is not allowed to replicate. Surely that's anti- competitive? Ah well, we'll see what comes but I can see me going back to SKY eventually. 8 channels recording, multi-room streaming, mobile device streaming. All sounds almost too good to resist.

Just been pointed out to me that SKY don't own everything. My honest mistake.But I do feel they are pulling strings somewhere to stop fair dealings. We should be much further along this route than we are by now.

0 Kudos