Menu
Phil_C
Rising star
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Room to room TiVo

It's been years since I used this forum - and it's all changed - but I looked in a few weeks ago and saw a help page (it might have been a video) on connecting 2 TiVos so that what's recorded on one can be viewed via the other, though a mains system. Today, that help page isn't prominent any more so, if someone could point me at it, I'd appreciate it. Also, if there are any pitfalls, such as what not to buy for that purpose, I'd appreciate knowing those too.

Thank you.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Room to room TiVo

Hi Phil_C,

Many thanks for coming in and posting again, you're certainly no stranger here Smiley Happy

I have and interesting and helpful link about Multi Room Streaming link here that can help you Smiley Happy

Let me know if there's anything that I can help with Smiley Happy

Many thanks. 

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

Xian
Well-informed
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

All Replies
Phil_C
Rising star
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Doesn't anyone know how to view the recordings on one TiVo via another TiVo?

0 Kudos
Phil_C
Rising star
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Alright. Call it multi-room. Does anyone know how to set up multi-room with 2 TiVos, or can anyone point me at a help page for it in this site?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Phil_C,

Many thanks for coming in and posting again, you're certainly no stranger here Smiley Happy

I have and interesting and helpful link about Multi Room Streaming link here that can help you Smiley Happy

Let me know if there's anything that I can help with Smiley Happy

Many thanks. 

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

Phil_C
Rising star
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ben. Thank you for your reply. I'd given up on getting any reply at all. This forum used to be very active, with plenty of people who knew the answers to such questions, but it seems to have quietened down a lot since then. I even remember this very thing being discussed here, including info on what powerline kits not to use. Anyway...

I'd previously found the page you linked to when I was seaching for answers, but it didn't provide much in the way of detail. The other end of the "Getting set up for multi-room streaming" link didn't provide any details either. Both pages merely pointed out that it can be done but without detailing how to do it. When I first looked at the forum again, in advance of the 2nd TiVo arriving, I saw a very prominent link to a video, which used a powerline kit, and looked very simple; i.e. buy a powerline kit, plug each unit into a TiVo and the mains, and it just works. It skimped on detail but I've tried to find that video again - unsuccessfully.

The sort of things I need to know is which powerline kits to avoid, and, more especially, which are known to be good? What does the page mean by "home network"? Can the two TiVos simply be connected with an ethernet cable and it works? I really need a page that describes the methods of doing it in detail - or a post with such information Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Xian
Well-informed
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Phil_C
Rising star
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That's spot on, Xian. It's exactly what I need. Thank you!

There's just one question left. Are there any powerline kits to avoid? They come in quite wide range of prices. I guess that (maybe) only those with actual experience of them would know which didn't work well for them. But there may be other knowledge, such as don't get one below nnn bit rates, for instance. Nevertheless, my best choice is a direct connection, not via the superhub, as I'd still need just as long a cable to get from it to the far TiVo - probably a bit longer - and I have no use for the TV Anywhere feature.

Thanks again, Ben and Xian.

0 Kudos
Phil_C
Rising star
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Brilliant! I connected the TiVos direct (by getting under the house in two different places, with very limited headroom Smiley Sad ), and it worked straight off. I tend to expect problems when things are supposed to just work, but there were none. Excellent! Thank you both.
0 Kudos