Menu
savvychels
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Replacement TiVo box making noise

we had one of our original 1TB TiVo boxes replaced a couple of months ago when the hard drive packed in after having issues for several months culminating in the hard drive spinning noisily and sounding like an airplane on takeoff.

The original boxes were Cisco, the replacement is a Samsung.  Aside from the issues at the end I never heard a sound from the box/hard drive in all the years I had the Cisco boxes (until the end when the one was dying).  The new replacement Samsung box makes kind of light crunching noises every so often like my computer hard drive does when it's working on things.  It's not overly loud like the dying machine was.  In addition on a few recordings there have been minor random pixellation issues.  I wasn't too bothered by the off little flash, but last night had a few minutes of lost recording dip he to pixelating and jumping.  Most of these issues are on E4 (non HD).  It may not be anything, or it might be in the transmission, but since the last TiVo faulty drive started with issues like this I'm worried that I may have recieved a faulty drive.  The engineer who came to replace it did say that the replacement might be a refurbished one.

anyway, long question short, can anyone tell me if a bit of hard drive noise is normal for the Samsung version (like I said neither Cisco box ever made any noise).someone have a quick look at the box and see if you can see any issues?  

and could someone have a quick look at the box to see if you can see any hard drive issues please and thanks.  It's the box number ending A3F9 (if I'm looking at the right place for the number)

thanks in advance.  I just don't want to get things re-archived on here for watching later only to have to replace the box again in a couple more months.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Replacement TiVo box making noise

Hey savvychels

Sorry to learn about the problems you're experiencing with your set top box, I've been able to run some tests on this from our side for you.

We're not detecting any issues with it from our end at the moment, although we wouldn't expect a lot of noise from the set top box normally. 

How long has this been happening on the set top box? Is it something that has started happening recently?

We'll talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
savvychels
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Craig

Thanks so much for looking into this for me.  This is a replacement TiVo which was installed on the 6 Dec, so not quite 2 months ago.  I'd say I've been hearing the hard drive noise just in the last couple of weeks.  It's not massively loud, just a little crunching away in the background for a minute or two then nothing for a while, then a bit of crunching again.  Like I said, it sounds like a computer hard drive when it's doing a bit of working away at something.  But as I've never heard that on either of my previous TiVo's it does concern me a little bit after having the previous one pack up in spectacular fashion.  

It did a random reboot in the middle of the night last night.  The original replaced one used to do that on a regular basis.  The other original one we still has does it rarely.  None of these things seem to occur around the Network connection times.  I don't know if this information is relevant to you at all, but figure the more I can tell you it might help.  

I'm relieved that you haven't found anything wrong on your tests, so it sounds like it's probably okay.  Because the noise isn't happening all the time I'm not sure if having someone out to look at it is worthwhile as chances of it happening while he's here are probably slim, but if you think we should get someone out before the hard drive gets too full (we are notorious for recording series and movies and watching them later when we have time) let me know and I'll be happy to book one.

Thanks again Smiley Happy

Bogget
Tuning in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I think you will find it has an icrect drive type and the drive noise you hear is themal calibration as the driove realigns its head a noise as you say often heard on cheaper computer drives, these drives are not normally fitted to video recording equipment because of the noise you mention. So i suspect the drive you have is either incorrectly labled (we had had several such drives) or is faulty.

Bogget
0 Kudos
savvychels
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hmmm Smiley Sad. So does this mean I should be phoning for another appointment/replacement?
savvychels
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

just to clarify, if it's the wrong type of drive, is it 'wrong' only because of the noise it makes (so they use the other only because they are quieter), or is it unsuitable long term?

i have to say, since i first noticed it a couple of weeks ago it's gone from just a couple of minutes now and then, to carrying on for longer and longer periods of time.

savvychels
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Just took a video of the 'crunching' sound in case it will help.  You can hear it grinding away, sometimes louder, sometimes softer.  Please ignore the dust Smiley Embarassed

http://youtu.be/D6VKp7qiovY

Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Savvychels,

Thanks for coming back to us on this one and also the video. I can certainly hear it in motion.

The Hard Drive does has moving parts and can sometimes make a little noise when it come to going into action now and then but I wouldn't be alarmed by the sound.

If you find at any point however that this noise relates to any issue you have with shows or any content, then please let us know and we'll certainly look into this.

Just to be safe I have checked the service and she's looking good so I hope you're enjoying the services so far Smiley Happy

Keep in touch and hope you're having a good'un.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
savvychels
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ben for the reply and for the double check of the box.  Having had 2 TiVos since VM first released them I've never heard a sound from either of them until this new replacement box, so it did concern me some.

ill either have to get used to it then, or swap the living room box into the bedroom Smiley Happy

Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hey savvychels,

Thanks for coming back and of course you're always welcome Smiley Happy

Rather than moving the box, which may not be ideal for you, I found in my own experience placing something under the feet of the box. Maybe some sticky back foam. I also found that keeping it outside of a enclosed space helped too. 

Keep in touch,we're here anytime.

Ben Smiley Happy

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos