Menu
Bingley
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Removal of Tivo connection.

Had Tivo taken out, and left with just broadband. On original setup tech guy had to fit a white amplifier box to split the tivo signal and broadband,this morning after removing the tivo equipment, I removed the amplifier as this was only added when the tivo was installed. After reconnecting the broadband cable to wall box , the signal dropped to 3mbs from 52mbs usually. So had to plug the amplifier back in again (PITA). Is it now that I have to keep the amplifier or should the broadband cable be able on its own now like it was before tivo was installed.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Stythinator
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Removal of Tivo connection.

Hi there,

Inside your place there should be a White box on the wall. Inside the White Box should be something called Isolator .. Ontop of the Isolator will be the Connector to which the Cable from the outside will screw onto and at the bottom of the Isolator will be another you screw the cable inside the house too. That is how your Setup inside should now be if you only have broadband (Should not need to have any splitters or anything anymore)

See below to what the Isolator should look like.

38709i3B0ADD6705649D58.jpg

Stythinator

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution.
0 Kudos
Bingley
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for reply. The amplifier is a powered one .The pic is not mine but off google and is the amp I have installed , the box on wall inside the lounge has what you have pictured, this amplifier is added on extra behind the TV unit and plugged in.

.VM amplifier.jpg

0 Kudos
Bingley
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Could one of the VM forum team advise if I still have to have this amp plugged in ( which I didn`t have before the tivo box was installed)  or do I require an enginneer to remove it and look at the signal level now. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

am a little confused by this

the signal dropped to 3mbs from 52mbs usually.

that suggests the upstream - but i dont understand the drop - 52 is high but ok - 3 is way too low

post the upstream and downstream levels with the amp and without it

VM will get to the thread but that can take a week

Tony
0 Kudos
Bingley
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply Tony, sorry If I confused you, I meant to say the speedtest came back at 3mb after removing the plugin amp.  I will try when home this evening. thanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bingley,

Thanks for posting!

I've checked your levels and they're all looking pretty healthy at the moment. If you're happy to keep the amp, that's fine. If not, I can arrange for a technician to remove it and adjust the levels accordingly.

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

Bingley
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Josh, Marc the  technician has been and removed it and sorted levels out. all ok now thanks.

0 Kudos