Menu
SSLondon
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Redundant series folders with the new Series Link+

Since the new Series Link+ has been implemented, it has become more time consuming to navigate to programmes saved in My Shows on my TiVO, and to delete them when they've been watched.

OPENING PROGRAMMES: In the old series link system, if I had only one episode of a programme saved, I clicked on it once and was taken straight to the episode play page. If I had two or more episodes, they were grouped into a folder. Clicking on the folder took me first to a list of all the available episodes, then I clicked on the one I wanted and would be taken to the play page.

Now, with series link+, even if I have just one episode saved in My Shows, it is bizarrely put in it's own folder meaning I have to click 3 times to play it.

What is even stranger, this only occurs with some programmes I have saved - others still follow the old series link format where folders are only formed if there are two or more episodes. I want ALL my shows to be in the old format, is there anyway I can change it?

DELETING PROGRAMMES: Similarly deleting programmes when I've watched them has become a bore. Previously, pressing 'clear' when highlighting an individual episode (whether in a folder with other episodes, or by itself without a folder) would immediately delete it.

Now with the new series link+ if there is a single episode in its own folder, once it is highlighted in My Shows, I have to click to delete, then click to confirm to delete 'everything in this folder'!. But there's only one episode! What also happens sometimes is that if I delete something that was saved via the new series link+, it removes my recording but replaces it with a link to the same episode on a streaming website?? If I wanted to keep the episode, I wouldn't have deleted it! 

There is clearly some redundant code going on here - there is little about the new series link+ feature that I have yet seen to be any improvement on the old. I don't want to be provided with lists of recordings of shows with the same name as ones I have previously recorded on other channels, or with links to streaming sites, some of which I don't have access to anyway.

Summary: can someone help me to fix the redundant folder issue (and the addition of unrequested links to streaming sites) ALTERNATIVELY can I return to the old series link feature?

This is really frustrating. My Virgin Media bill is the only thing that goes up significantly every year, yet in some parts of the service the programming is really sloppy or patchy.

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Redundant series folders with the new Series Link+

So this is my understanding of when they appear:

The folders with one or no recordings show up if you've got a Series Link+ set to 'Recording and Streaming' as the folder will list the On Demand sources that you can still access. This is the default for any new Series Links set up since the update.

They don't show up if you've got the Series Link+ set to 'Recordings only' as you're saying to TiVo that you're not bothered about On Demand content (although you can still see it when there is a recording folder). This is the default for existing Series Links set up before the update.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

So this is my understanding of when they appear:

The folders with one or no recordings show up if you've got a Series Link+ set to 'Recording and Streaming' as the folder will list the On Demand sources that you can still access. This is the default for any new Series Links set up since the update.

They don't show up if you've got the Series Link+ set to 'Recordings only' as you're saying to TiVo that you're not bothered about On Demand content (although you can still see it when there is a recording folder). This is the default for existing Series Links set up before the update.

qwakuk
Dialled in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It is a nuisance BUT changing the Series Link+ set to 'Recordings only' as you're saying to TiVo that you're not bothered about On Demand content does work

SSLondon
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks Guys!

Changing my Series Link+ options to 'recordings only' will solve my immediate problem.

Still think there is a question to be answered about the general redundancy of some of the new Link+ code; there are better ways to interact with On Demand features than multiple clicking on empty or single-item folders.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The way Series Link+ works is part core changes TiVo made to the platform, it's not unique to Virgin Media.
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

BenMcr wrote:
The way Series Link+ works is part core changes TiVo made to the platform, it's not unique to Virgin Media.

Pity they don't put more effort in to fixing problems rather than adding bloatware.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
SSLondon
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Exactly! poor/redundant programming. 

I would have thought that as a big investor in the TiVO system, Virgin would have the clout to push for a more streamlined, intuitive approach from the makers themselves.

0 Kudos