Menu
PMcS
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Recording on a USB stick

I used to be able to record programmes from the TiVo box to my DVD recorder. The recorder broke recently. Is it possible to put a USB stick into the USB port at the back of the TiVo box to record programmes so that I can then show on a PC?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recording on a USB stick

No its not. the USB port on the tivo is disabled. even if you could get the files they are encypted based ont he box so you can't even put the drive in a another tivo to watch
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No, it's not possible.

On the older TiVo box, the only way you can copy recordings is in real time via the video output

On the new Virgin TV V6 it does also allow you temporarily download some recordings to a mobile device via TV Anywhere to watch offline, or you can stream then from the box when at home.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
PMcS
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. I am not very knowledgeable about modern technology. Could you explain what you mean about what can be done  with the TV V6 device?  Basically I am looking a way of recording history programmes I have saved on my TIVO box in order to be able to play on school computer. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

not possible and would be against the licencing terms.if for education you should contact the people that made them and obtain a copy
0 Kudos
PMcS
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this reply. Does this mean anyone using a video recorder in the past/present or a DVD recorder to record educational programmes on to is in breach of licencing laws?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

My wife was a classroom assistant in a primary school. One of her responsibilities was recording on VHS materials which they paid a licence for.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

yes recording onto any media without licence or permission from the copyright holder is illegal.
0 Kudos
zilch
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Does this include recording to the tivo box?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

you are allowed to record to the tivo as well as other media like DVD and VHS for time shifting. That is to watch a live broadcast as a more convenient time. Archiving or sharing of the recording would not be covered under the license
0 Kudos