Menu
garethsnaim
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Recording does not start at beginning

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Usually when I record something even if half way through its clever enough to understand to record the whole thing.

recently the thing went **bleep** up so I did a reset on it, and since then recording stuff only records from the point at which you started recording.

Is there a way to fix this?

Also this box is like from the Arc, with devices such as amazon fire tv with quad core processors selling for a few quid I am struggling to understand why the virgin Tivo is soooo slow, so ancient, so 1990s. Is it possible to put tivo on something else and log into virgin from there?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
dave2660
Superfast
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Recording does not start at beginning

garethsnaim wrote:
It had been on a while I think. I certainly didn't turn it on at the time.

Importantly the behaviour changed so far as I can tell. Perhaps I need to get to grips with these series link things, thats another thing, on my iphone, on the rare occasions it actually works there are some links with tonnes on shows but on the tivo it only shows 10 episodes.

The behaviour hasn't changed, in the past you just got lucky. Whenever you went to record something that had already started you were lucky enough that the box was switched on and one of the tuners was already tuned to the right channel, so the start was recorded as part of the live buffer. When this happens the TiVo can make a recording of the whole programme by making use of the bits it's already recorded.

If one of the three tuners in the TiVo wasn't already tuned into the right channel and recording it for the live buffer when you pressed record then the TiVo can only start recording from that point, so you miss the start.

The behaviour hasn't changed, your lucky streak has just come to an end. If there's something on that you want to record then you should set up the recording in advance, either as a one off recording or series link.

All Replies
japitts
Well-informed
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If you're pressing record partway through a program, then it should record from the point where the active tuner was tuned to that channel - or the start of the program, whichever is the latest. (I think that's the right way round).

Are you saying that it's only recording from the moment you hit "record" even if a live-tv buffer from earlier is available?

Jon.

0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

garethsnaim wrote:

Also this box is like from the Arc, with devices such as amazon fire tv with quad core processors selling for a few quid I am struggling to understand why the virgin Tivo is soooo slow, so ancient, so 1990s. Is it possible to put tivo on something else and log into virgin from there?

Strange to think the original UK Tivo from around year 2000 was so much better and faster in many ways compared with Virgin Media's "Tivo" and certainly didn't crash or need rebooting or babysitting all the time. The epg used to be 21 days instead of todays 14 and the 28 days rule where Tivo "forgets" what you have watched has STILL never been increased. Of course, "thumbs" used to work properly then too, before Virgin Media decided to "improve" them for the worse. Had a proper heavy metal case so the whole thing didn't vibrate with the hard drive too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-f48X_p06M

Even shows how smooth fast-forward and rewind used to be compared with today's rubbish. VM Tivo is a few generations behind the latest US offerings.

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos
garethsnaim
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Well I don't understand why it has to be the size of a VHS recorder. I have a little box here the size of a match box with a quad core processor in it. Even allowing for harddrive it does not need to be big.

To add insult even the power supply is separate. I wouldn't mind if the experience was good, but its dog slow. The iphone app only connects 50% of the time and now apparently if I see something currently playing I fancy it no longer records the whole show, only from where I started recording
0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

garethsnaim wrote:
Well I don't understand why it has to be the size of a VHS recorder. I have a little box here the size of a match box with a quad core processor in it. Even allowing for harddrive it does not need to be big.

To add insult even the power supply is separate. I wouldn't mind if the experience was good, but its dog slow. The iphone app only connects 50% of the time and now apparently if I see something currently playing I fancy it no longer records the whole show, only from where I started recording

Is this after the box has been in standby? With one of the updates a while back the buffering of channels stops when the TiVo goes into standby (hence me turning off power-saving and never putting my TiVo into standby any more!)

0 Kudos
garethsnaim
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have no idea whats happened to be honest. All I know is, I don't record a terrific amount, but before about a week ago, if I saw something on TV, but had to go out or what ever I hit record. When I played it back it started from the beginning, excellent.

Now when I hit record it starts recording at the time in the show I hit record. So for instance last night I wanted to watch master chef australia, but missed the 9 oclock start and it was ten mins in, no bover I though, hit record and I will watch later. When I watched later it was 10 mintues in.

0 Kudos
mike_gain
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

garethsnaim wrote:

I have no idea whats happened to be honest. All I know is, I don't record a terrific amount, but before about a week ago, if I saw something on TV, but had to go out or what ever I hit record. When I played it back it started from the beginning, excellent.

Now when I hit record it starts recording at the time in the show I hit record. So for instance last night I wanted to watch master chef australia, but missed the 9 oclock start and it was ten mins in, no bover I though, hit record and I will watch later. When I watched later it was 10 mintues in.

Was your TiVo box on at 9pm and was it tuned to the channel broadcasting Master Chef (i.e. was it on your telly when you cam in at 21:10) or did you come in at 21:10, switch the TiVO and TV on and then press record?

garethsnaim
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Importantly the behaviour changed so far as I can tell. Perhaps I need to get to grips with these series link things, thats another thing, on my iphone, on the rare occasions it actually works there are some links with tonnes on shows but on the tivo it only shows 10 episodes.
0 Kudos
dave2660
Superfast
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

garethsnaim wrote:

The behaviour hasn't changed, in the past you just got lucky. Whenever you went to record something that had already started you were lucky enough that the box was switched on and one of the tuners was already tuned to the right channel, so the start was recorded as part of the live buffer. When this happens the TiVo can make a recording of the whole programme by making use of the bits it's already recorded.

If one of the three tuners in the TiVo wasn't already tuned into the right channel and recording it for the live buffer when you pressed record then the TiVo can only start recording from that point, so you miss the start.

The behaviour hasn't changed, your lucky streak has just come to an end. If there's something on that you want to record then you should set up the recording in advance, either as a one off recording or series link.

garethsnaim
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Fair enough.

I notice on amazon etc there is TIVO beta, will that be supported by virgin? Or can I buy a better tivo box or does it have to be 'The Arc™' as supplied by virgin?

0 Kudos