Menu
scinquegrana
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Recording Demand Programs to Tivo

Having been a SKY+ user for some years, moving to Virgin Tivo is a bit of a challenge. 

Why is it not possible to record from "On Demand" services like BBC Iplayer and SKY demand. This was a really useful feature of the SKY+ box. 

Also, is there a way of grouping future recordings into programs instead of by date?

I'm sure I'll get used to it but missing my SKY box so far. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recording Demand Programs to Tivo

Isn't the clue in the term On Demand?

If you want a copy on your TiVo hard disk then Record it when it's broadcast.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recording Demand Programs to Tivo

scinquegrana wrote:

Why is it not possible to record from "On Demand" services like BBC Iplayer and SKY demand. This was a really useful feature of the SKY+ box. 

Also, is there a way of grouping future recordings into programs instead of by date?

The reason you can record 'On Demand' on Sky, is that Sky have to deal with the variable speed of ADSL broadband. So there isn't a guarantee that the connection is fast enough to stream the programme you're watching in real time. So it offers the option to 'record' it to box i.e. it's downloading it.

Virgin Media On Demand uses different technology for most services such as Movies on Demand, so has a guaranteed connection. So there is no need to be able to offer a download option. For connected services like the iPlayer and Netflix, then the TiVo box you have has a dedicated connection of 10Mbps, which is fast enough to allow streaming without downloading.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos