Menu
Gorrion
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Recorded programme lengths

I'm about to take delivery of a TiVo box to replace my V+ which I'm not that enthusiastic about  but the deal is a decent one. My question is this:

How do you know how long the programmes are that you have recorded and that appear in your "My Shows"? The reason I ask is that on the V+ screen you get the length of the programme as well, and this is very useful if you have recorded some short programmes to act as fillers between live programmes on TV, or you want to know whether a programme is one hour or two hours long.

Grateful for any advice.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recorded programme lengths

You can press 'OK' on a selected programme in My Shows and it'll tell you length of the recording.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Gorrion
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, BenMcr, for your quick reply. Your solution means that I have to interrogate each programme individually and not have the length displayed for each programme on the page. If I have 5 or 6 pages of programmes I will have forgotten which ones were the short ones on page one by the time I get to page five. Is there not a form of display that one can set like the good old VM V+? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No sorry, there isn't.

However one thing that will help on TiVo, where you've got recordings from a series link they are grouped together in a folder by default, rather than each episode having its own entry.

So it will make it easier to navigate through your recordings, and as most series links are in general the same length for each episode, it will be easier to find short recordings if required, as you'll know which folders have half hour or hour recordings.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, I did forget this bit. There is an exception for Movies. These do show the time in the programme information panel on the right of the screen.

0 Kudos
Gorrion
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Good point, BenMcr, but in practice the little "fillers" are one-offs - odd little programmes that catch the eye. I guess I'll just have to live with that loss of functionality. Do all TiVo boxes have this disadvantage - even the ones they sell in the 'States? I see some wonderful TiVo boxes on their website which, I suspect, put the VM ones in the shade. Does VM specify what features they want on the ones that they import? If so, can't VM press for duration display?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It's standard UI decision. All TiVo boxes are the same in this respect as far as I'm aware, including TiVo's latest US boxes.

Although Virgin Media have some control over elements of the UI, such as the colour scheme and naming and spelling, others are core TiVo and can't be changed as part of the Virgin Media customisations. It's up to TiVo to make the change across their entire ecosystem.

0 Kudos
Gorrion
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

OK, fair enough. I think I've exhausted possible lines of approach. Thanks for your help and patience.

0 Kudos