Menu
Aniretak
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Record backwards???

Is it possible to record a programme from the beginning that's already started with TiVo box? Technical department said no when I rang but in line chat help said yes definitely, it's in the settings!!😡

0 Kudos
steelysteph
Superfast
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Record backwards???

My guess is if the program is available on catchup then TiVo should be smart enough to record it from that source.  If it isn't on catchup I don't see how it can record something that isn't in its memory.

You can set the Sky receiver to continually record up to 30 minutes of what you're watching, this is what allows you to 'rewind live TV' and to record a program after you've started watching it. Assuming TiVo uses the same method you have the same limitations - if TiVo wasn't receiving the channel it can't record it.

does that make sense?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You can record a program that's already started providing one of the 3 tuners was already on that channel, if they weren't then it's not possible

each tuner will buffer the channel it's on and can transfer the buffer to a recording

0 Kudos
steelysteph
Superfast
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As a matter of interest is there any way of knowing what channels the 2nd and 3rd receivers are tuned to?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

To elaborate on the answers you have been given...

If you are sitting watching something and you suddenly decide it needs recorded (rather than say paused cos you need a cuppa). hit the red record button on your TiVo remote. As long as the full program is in the buffer, it will be recorded in its entirety. You will also be offered the choice of a series link.

If you switch to another channel, and want to record THAT program- if another tuner was on that channel and has buffered THAT program you can do the same. So channel you are watching, no problem, another channel luck of the draw. When series link+ is 100% working, it becomes a moot point as it will pull the episode from catch-up if needed (as per steelysteffs answer)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Aniretak wrote:

Is it possible to record a programme from the beginning that's already started with TiVo box? Technical department said no when I rang but in line chat help said yes definitely, it's in the settings!!😡

On Sky + boxes if you hit record during a programme you are watching, any preceeding part of the programme in the buffer becomes part of the recording. So if you have been watching a channel for 10 minutes & hit record all of the previous part of the programme up to 10 minutes before become part of the recording.

AFAIK this is not a TiVO feature.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

nodrogd wrote:

Aniretak wrote:

On Sky + boxes if you hit record during a programme you are watching, any preceeding part of the programme in the buffer becomes part of the recording. So if you have been watching a channel for 10 minutes & hit record all of the previous part of the programme up to 10 minutes before become part of the recording.

AFAIK this is not a TiVO feature.

LOL without wanting to argue with you nodrogd

Yes it is.

Phil_C
Rising star
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

To summarise the replies, and to add a few bits...

You can see which channels are on the other two tuners that you aren't watching by pressing the Info button and scrolling down to the bottom of the list. You can move to either of the other two tuners from there, which on occasion can be useful.

Each tuner stores up to 60 minutes so, for example, if you've been watching a programme that's less than 60 minutes in, and you press to record it, the recording will include from the start. If the programme is already more than 60 minutes in, you'll only get the last 60 minutes of it plus whatever is left.

If, after selecting to record the programme, you change to another channel, the programme will continue to record.

One thing I like a lot about the new Series Link+ is that, if you decide to set a series link part way through a series, bookmarks to all previous episodes and in all previous series that are in iPlayer, and/or Box Sets, etc. will be placed in the link's folder. I think that's brilliant.

0 Kudos