Menu
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

RC24- What was it for?

1. Back in September VM released the RC23 software, pre-tested as reported by various posters but caused uproar on general release due to the general slowness, that was apparently not picked up in the testing.

2. Forum team post various suggestions on how to improve the speed of the Tivo box, do this, do that, do the hokey-cokey and the box will speed up., e.g. "Try this key sequence: Home > Thumbs down > Thumbs up > Play > Play > Play. You'll hear a 'ping' noise and the screen will go blank. When the screen comes back on you should notice the TiVo® speed up!".

However, as reported by various posters, if you were lucky it might do so but only for a short time.

3. Forum team announce that a fix will be released to cure the slowness.

4. RC24 released followed by various posters stating that there is no change to the speed issues.

5. See this post from Kath_F today.

Hi guys, 

Regarding the slowness of the TiVo®, now you have the latest software it may be worth doing a little maintenance to make sure it's running spot on. Try this key sequence: Home > Thumbs down > Thumbs up > Play > Play > Play. You'll hear a 'ping' noise and the screen will go blank. When the screen comes back on you should notice the TiVo® speed up!

The TiVo® stores data that it uses fairly often in the cache so it can be called upon quickly. This sequence clears the cache and by doing this you remove all the background data freeing up some of the TiVo®'s memory.

6. Return to 2. above.

So what did RC24 actually do? Who tested it? Do we have to wait for RC25, 26, 27, etc. to get a fix?

How about a full explanation on RC24. What did it include to resolve the speed issues?

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
HairyFacedHuman
Rising star
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: RC24- What was it for?

From my point of view, the general slowness of the menus is the same. But four things have changed.

1. The menu is no longer freezing.

2. Switching from TV to Menu or from Menu to TV is quicker than before.

3. Going into the Settings Menu is also much quicker than before the update.

4. Pressing play when In My Shows is quicker than it was with RC23

I've not had the opportunity to test it during a network connection so don't know if it's quicker than it was before. This is my biggest gripe. It's the network connection that cripples the TiVo's functionality.

---------------------------------------------------------------
This life hesitates to be enjoyed
Not the slightest prospect of change
Vicious circle
That I'd thought to have escaped
A lasting state of worry prolongs

Mirthless - by - Mirror Of Deception
(from the 2004 album - Foregone)
stevef
Superfast
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I would also like to know what was changed in rc24, for me it made a big improvement in speed that lasted a few days before the same old Laggy interface returned. When is rc25 coming out? don't want a v6 box unless the scart interface is reenabled.

0 Kudos
fizz
Up to speed
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

It hasn't worked for me either however the slow down is now a couple of days rather than hours. Before any one comments I have cleared thumbs and suggestions. No difference. The annoying thing now is that the thumbs up down play twice GUI reset does not have any effect either only a full reboot. At least it is only every couple of days now rather than two or three... So rc24... Still shakey and has NOT solved the issue imho.

I'm still also getting sound sync issues on HD channels to that changing channels does not fix... 

0 Kudos
vwt5
Up to speed
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

i reckon they did it just to buy some more time in the hope of preventing even more customers leaving,just get another months

subscription out of them,and by the way rc24 didnt work for me either,

G4DDS
Rising star
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

On our Cisco 1Tb box with 250 Series links, My Shows at 40-50% and lots of thumb ratings (never reset) it seems to be  flying since RC24.

Compare that with our other box - Samsung 1Tb with 40 Series links, My Shows at 10-20% and a lot less thumb ratings than the other box and there has been little speed up (if any).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

G4DDS wrote:

On our Cisco 1Tb box with 250 Series links, My Shows at 40-50% and lots of thumb ratings (never reset) it seems to be  flying since RC24.

Compare that with our other box - Samsung 1Tb with 40 Series links, My Shows at 10-20% and a lot less thumb ratings than the other box and there has been little speed up (if any).

Thanks G4DDS, now that is interesting.

My main box is a Samsung and it has seen virtually no improvement. My other box is a Cisco and a quick look suggested that it was the same but it tends to be used mainly by other members of the family, with little use by myself recently. I will need to check this out as it may explain why some are happy with the update while others are not.

Could others reporting no improvement tell us what type of box you have?

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
vwt5
Up to speed
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

mines a samsung,max 10% disc no thumb ratings whatsoever and its still slow after update

0 Kudos
fergiet
Superfast
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Ours was much faster for a week or so but now back to being slow. Such a pity really, who would have thought Virgin Media would update software for it not to fix an issue? A BIG issue !

Will continue swearing at it under my breath.

frank_gm
Community elder
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

fergiet wrote:

Ours was much faster for a week or so but now back to being slow. Such a pity really, who would have thought Virgin Media would update software for it not to fix an issue? A BIG issue !

Will continue swearing at it under my breath.

What is it, Cisco or Samsung?

¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos