Menu
Tony_Norton
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Quick way to play catchup?

Hi All,

is there a quicker way to play a 'catchup' program than trawling through, for example, all the various options on, for instance, BBC i-player?

I can't help feeling it ought to be possible to go back to a previous day on the 'guide' and, if the program you missed is marked with a "c", to click one button and play it.

Trawling through the various menus/options takes nearly as long as watching the actual program, when you finally get to it! Well, its not quite that bad, but I'm sure you understand what I'm saying. A 'one button' click would be ideal.

Tony N

Helpful Answers
Argy
Rising star
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Quick way to play catchup?

Hi Tony

On my Tivo, it does work almost exactly as you want (apart from two button presses, not one) for BBC programmes

Go to the programme in the guide > Ok > Play from Catchup > OK. Then wait - a LONG time (it's a long time since I used the BBC iPlayer on the Tivo, I had forgotten how bad it was!)

Tried again on a Channel 5 programme, and on that channel it did say "Get from catchup" > OK and then just dumped me at the channel selection - which is a pain.

I'm guessing that the limitation is either the TV company's player setup, or the software on the Tivo.

If it is the former, maybe it will get changed if you ask the TV company concerned.  If it is the latter, I suspect it will not get resolved until the Tivo replacement is launched (whenever that will be).

Just another VM user trying to help, so no guarantees that my advice will work .
If my suggestion is helpful, please mark it as helpful; it may help others. Just want to say "Thanks"? That's the Kudos button.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos

All Replies
Argy
Rising star
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Tony

On my Tivo, it does work almost exactly as you want (apart from two button presses, not one) for BBC programmes

Go to the programme in the guide > Ok > Play from Catchup > OK. Then wait - a LONG time (it's a long time since I used the BBC iPlayer on the Tivo, I had forgotten how bad it was!)

Tried again on a Channel 5 programme, and on that channel it did say "Get from catchup" > OK and then just dumped me at the channel selection - which is a pain.

I'm guessing that the limitation is either the TV company's player setup, or the software on the Tivo.

If it is the former, maybe it will get changed if you ask the TV company concerned.  If it is the latter, I suspect it will not get resolved until the Tivo replacement is launched (whenever that will be).

Just another VM user trying to help, so no guarantees that my advice will work .
If my suggestion is helpful, please mark it as helpful; it may help others. Just want to say "Thanks"? That's the Kudos button.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
jobbie
Superfast
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

When Tivo was released it was possible to scroll back in the TV Guide, pick a show with the Catch Up 'c' icon, press Play and the show would play within 20 seconds or so.

Now-a-days if you press Play, you end up in the Catch Up menu and have to find the show yourself. 

An update must of wiped that feature out?

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have seen both happen but usually if I select a programme with the Catch Up 'c' icon it will load the programme directly.

When the round-about method happens it is usually when I select a programme that has just recently finished.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Tony_Norton
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Argy,

tried your method, but I don't get the same response. My TiVo sequence is: -

guide > OK > Go to Catchup > OK and from then on the multiple iPlayer selections.

I guess that one of 2 things has happened in the latest box (we've only had ours a couple of weeks), either Virgin said "....why are we spending money on software that somebody has already written....?" or BBC said "....you're not using our iPlayer without giving us full credit for it....!".

Either way it looks like I'm going to have to settle for the long way round.

Cheers

Tony N

0 Kudos