Menu
Pugwash1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Questions about TiVo, please help.

Hiya all, long story short, tried to get a discount on my bills and ended up having to have a TiVo box to get discount. It's coming on Friday for me to install. So I have some questions.

1) I have a old tv. I mean old 15+ years, one of those large tube ones. It has one scart input which my DVD goes in. My current v box ( not v+) goes into my DVD players scart. Will I be able to do the same with this TiVo box, or can I do it through the Ariel socket?

2) do I have to connect it to my internet? Does it matter if I dont?

3) I don't want to record any programmes, (what's the point when I use catch up exclusively) so will the box work faster if I don't record anything?

4) the lady said the box will recommend stuff to me. I don't want that, can I turn that off?

0 Kudos
Pugwash1
Tuning in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Questions about TiVo, please help.

many thanks.
0 Kudos
Pugwash1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

5) does it have catch up like the v box where all the main channels are together?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

From the top:

1. You can connect the TiVo to your DVD player's SCART input, yes. It should then function as the V-box did.
  2. It's connected to the internet through the coax which supplies the TV.
  3. Shouldn't make any difference, though if you set a Series Link+ for a show it'll either record it or fetch it from On Demand if it misses the recording.
  4. Suggestions - The box records shows similar to your other recorded programmes. These don't count towards the space used for recordings. Yes they can be disabled.
  5. It's a little different - the catch-up is app driven (at the broadcasters' behest), but the search functionality on the box will find content across all of them. Not necessarily better, but perhaps easier to schedule regularly watched broadcasts to record (which it'll clear out on its own anyway), and then all the content will be in a list regardless.

Semi-seriously, it may be worth considering a new TV, not least for the power saving, but also because this is the last VM box with a SCART output (and what a bodge it was in the early days of TiVo!) so any further upgrade in however many years will necessitate it.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos