Menu
andybundy
Up to speed
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Question: Tivo x2 connected to internet switched LAN. Do they ever 'phone home' over broadband?

I believe, indeed hope, the answer to this is no, but it might answer some problems I've had recently, and indeed others which have been posted in various places.  It may especially explain why a recent replacement TIVO for a long-beloved (and will filled) box has already gone belly up in a boot/reboot loop.

The question is this.  When connected to one's internal LAN, something one would only do if they have two TIVO boxes, and want to watch a recording from one TIVO box through the other TIVO box, I have come to wonder whether the devices use this connection, which in most terms would by default have internet access, to validate whether programmes CAN be shared (some licensing deals on certain shows still prevent this) as well, possibly, as a lesser cost (in internet routing terms) route to the internet for software updates, or even the equivalent of drivers for unusual devices, say 5.1 or 7.1 amps being connected via the HDMI connector.  Numerous other OPs have complained that doing this tends to force the same boot/reboot loop.

I am not an expert on TIVO technology, but I know enough to have turned my original mk1 S***Rhub then later mk2 version (for the 200mbps upgrade) into bridge mode, and initially add-in a more powerful router, and then later one with 802.11ac function.

In the past six months, I've even dispensed with using the router for routing, and replaced THAT with a variety of open source firewall builds on a variety of hardware types.

Given the failure, in the past three months, of two Tivo boxes, I therefore find myself questioning whether in locking down my network, and also ensuring the outbound traffic is also validated as much as incoming (after all, why would the TIVO's need internet access when VM supplies each with a 10mb connection of their own?) whether the blocking of potentially unexpected connections from the two TIVO's might be causing difficulties, not to mention SLOW performance (well before the current 'software upgrade' excuse which should not be lasting weeks!).

I've not had the time or cognitive ability of late to run through packet captures to collect every packet issued by one or the other device (having a physical disability and neurological problem as well as daily exhaustion tends to put one off such things) I'm putting the question out there to see if anyone else has had strange problems after installing firewalls with their VM routers in bridge mode.

Thanks for reading (if you stayed awake).  Obviously I don't know diddly about HDMI so don't read much into my comment about drivers - that's really just a guess.

AndyBundy
-----------------
I don't work for VM. I am medically 'retired' after working for a large multi-national Telco and have spent fifteen years in WAN/LAN IP Networking, Network Management and IT Support.
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Question: Tivo x2 connected to internet switched LAN. Do they ever 'phone home' over broadband?

The TiVos only use the LAN connection for box-to-box streaming, and for the remote control app. Anything else is handled through the 10Mbps modem.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Question: Tivo x2 connected to internet switched LAN. Do they ever 'phone home' over broadband?

The TiVos only use the LAN connection for box-to-box streaming, and for the remote control app. Anything else is handled through the 10Mbps modem.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!