Menu
crypticc
Superfast
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Quality of Tivo suggestions

Hii

Can I ask if anyone else has noticed that Tivo suggestions have no bearing on what you thumbs up and down?  I've had the Tivo for a couple of years now and there's loads of pages of thumbs up and down but still the auto recorded suggestions are so far off the mark.

For example, my wife is a cookery fan, there's a few pages of thumbs up just dedicated to cookery but not once had Tivo recorded a cookery programme in the suggestions.

Similar story for action movies, start trek, other sci fi, murder mystery, car shows, nature programmes, magic shows, etc. which we are always watching and thumbs up, but is NEVER recorded.

In fact it seems Tivo seems to push whatever Virgin want to promote.

Edit example, there's seems to be a glut of suggestions for reality tv, ITV BE and daytime host show programming inspite of never watching those programmes. What the hell is jerseylicious anyway, and I thought neighbours finished when Kylie left? Lol.

I've been into the suggestion pages and it seems to capture what we actually watch and thumbs down the rubbish, but it seeks that unless we thumbs down the specific show it saves the rubbish shows, but never in the other direction for the stuff we might actually want to watch... It won't record unless we explicitly set a recording.

Can I get a ticket raised with Virgin to look into my online Tivo profile and see what's wrong?

Thanks for reading

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------
TiVo video output scaling-bugs

Tivo-scaling-bug

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

Tags (2)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
crypticc
Superfast
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Quality of Tivo suggestions

"...but it seems that unless we thumbs down the specific show it saves the rubbish shows,..."

P.s.  Swear when we first got the Tivo a couple of years ago it used to work fine... You'd change channel and if you were lucky you could rewind the live show even when you'd missed the start.  Now the extra tuners are off recording some junk instead

Tivo-scaling-bug

0 Kudos
alexpb22
Tuning in
Message 17 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tivo Suggestions is completely useless

Thanks for your comments and taking the time to reply. I'm not really looking for a solution though as I usually set stuff that I want recorded myself but occasionally I forget and it made me wonder why the Tivo suggestions didn't ever pick it up.  It was more to just air my views as to it not really being very useful as a feature and I was wondering whether other people had similar issues.

0 Kudos

All Replies
crypticc
Superfast
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

"...but it seems that unless we thumbs down the specific show it saves the rubbish shows,..."

P.s.  Swear when we first got the Tivo a couple of years ago it used to work fine... You'd change channel and if you were lucky you could rewind the live show even when you'd missed the start.  Now the extra tuners are off recording some junk instead

Tivo-scaling-bug

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Crypticc Smiley Happy

Thank you for coming back and posting your comment Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to read about the suggestions not recording what you need, In my honest opinion I would try this link and have a read through about clearing the suggestions and maybe starting again. 

In the meantime, have you been able to set up a series link?

Keep in touch.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
gooding5
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Try using this 

Setting up a WishList search on my TiVo box

tell Tivo " cookery " and job done it will record them Smiley Happy

I love using wish lists Smiley Happy

Suggestions  will pick shows and films that are relevant to the things you already watch, rate or record.

Let us know if this helps 

I work in the VM Swansea Faults Center .All comments are my own.
I do NOT speak for VM.
0 Kudos
crypticc
Superfast
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your suggestions. My concern is as much about the stuff that is being recorded without my invitation as anything else. But also that it is not recording things with three thumbs up.

Who looks after TiVo functionality if it's broken?

Tivo-scaling-bug

0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I must add my view on this ....

I watched the news once, and since then, it often records the News as a suggestion!

It often records a program I am actually watching as a suggestion, so I could be watching it whilst recording it once on a link, and once as a suggestion.

The programs it records are often so far away from what I would normally watch, I really think it sometimes records for the fun of it.

It's no real problem deleting them, or even just ignoring them, but the number of recorded suggestions have multiplied dramatically in the last few months.

I know I can turn suggestions off, but it does sometimes come up with some really good programs that I did not know existed!

0 Kudos
gooding5
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

• TiVo Suggestions are personalized shows selected to match your preferences.  Any time you watch live TV or recorded programs, or browse programs with the Guide, you can rate each show by pressing the Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down button while the show is selected. You can give a program up to three thumbs up or down.

At first, TiVo may suggest a seemingly random set of shows. Over time, the more shows you rate with your THUMBS buttons, the better TiVo Suggestions will be at finding programs you like.

When Tvio has empty space, it will automatically record some  Suggestions. This is an excellent way for you to discover new shows that might interest you. .

TiVo Suggestions never replace shows you request or prevent them from being recorded. TiVo Suggestions are always the first programs deleted to make room for recordings you request

• As you rate more programs with Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down, TiVo Suggestions will get better at finding programs that you might like.
  • If some TiVo Suggestions do not reflect your preferences, it is possible that other members of your household are pressing Thumbs Up on shows you do not care for, and vice versa. If this is the case, you may find that your TiVo  is recording some TiVo Suggestions that you like, and some that are more appropriate for other family members.
  • If you still are not satisfied with TiVo Suggestions after several weeks, try using more Thumbs Up. Give two or three Thumbs Up to your favorite shows, rather than just one. In addition, you should avoid giving any program three Thumbs Down unless you do not like the entire genre. For example, if you give three Thumbs Down to several movies, your Tivo will be less likely to suggest other movies.
I do NOT speak for VM.
0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

With respect, that is not how it works in my experience.

I fully understand how the thumbs up & down works, however ...

Shows similar to the ones I have given a thumbs down record, and just because I watched the news once does not mean I have given it a thumbs up to record more.

More to the point, we have a second TiVo in a spare room which is brand new. Never recorded anything on it, nor (up to that point) watched any program on it. Within three days it had recorded 17 suggestions. As we had not viewed anything, no "ratings" were issued, therefore on what basis did the TiVo assume I wanted to watch the suggestions?

It also records the same episode often. For example, on the "only fools and horses channel" AKA UK Gold, it has recorded the same episode three times now when it has been shown.

When it works well, it records some interesting programs, but then starts to record absolute dross that is not based on previous ratings.
0 Kudos
gooding5
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hmmmm 

Maybe reset suggestions and check .........

Could be the start of something ........

Keep me posted ...........

Smiley Happy

I do NOT speak for VM.
0 Kudos
crypticc
Superfast
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

My problem is I keep thumbs down three times in all this reality tv rubbish but it keeps saving that. Even if there's something I thumbs up on the other channel I might have been interested in.
It does seem that virgin promotes stuff too just because it's new, even if I have thumbs down everything similar and never watched or recorded or so much as entertained a thought to watch

Tivo-scaling-bug

0 Kudos