Menu
andy1821
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Problems changing channels

Hi

Hi

Hi.We have just swopped our old hard drive for a tivo box.With the old hard drive box, if I wanted the box to switch channels when a programme starts on another channel in the near future, all you had to do was bring up the channel guide, select the programme you wanted the box to turn to and press ok.The box would then turn over at the start of the selected programme.If I do the same thing with the tivo box, it automatically sets the programme to record.But it doesn't turn over.How do I set the tivo box to turn over to a different channel at a pre-selected time without the programme being recorded.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Problems changing channels

This feature is not available on the TiVO. The V+ box had a dedicated viewing tuner, which would always be available for reminders to be set. The TiVO has not, therefore cannot guarantee that a tuner will be available to switch to the channel the reminder is set for, so the compromise is you have to set a recording instead. A more detailed explanation is linked below:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Why-do-I-have-to-record-reminders/m-p/1410522/high...

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

This feature is not available on the TiVO. The V+ box had a dedicated viewing tuner, which would always be available for reminders to be set. The TiVO has not, therefore cannot guarantee that a tuner will be available to switch to the channel the reminder is set for, so the compromise is you have to set a recording instead. A more detailed explanation is linked below:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Why-do-I-have-to-record-reminders/m-p/1410522/high...

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
andy1821
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

That's great.Thanks very much.It does seem like a bit of a step backwards.A new box that does so much more than the old V+ box, but they leave out one of the best features of the V+ box.I suppose I'll get used to it but it seems like a lot of faffing around

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

andy1821 wrote:

That's great.Thanks very much.It does seem like a bit of a step backwards.A new box that does so much more than the old V+ box, but they leave out one of the best features of the V+ box.I suppose I'll get used to it but it seems like a lot of faffing around

Why is it a step backwards? It brings with it the added value of recording the programme so that you do not miss it if you are not in front of the box when it starts.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

...and it does turn over at the start if you do nothing. You are also given the option to cancel the recording.

0 Kudos