Menu
Dipak
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Problem with Series Link

There is a series of programmes called Glastonbury on both BBC2 and BBC4 starting on Friday 24th June.

I first created a series link for Glastonbury on BBC2 and when I subsequently created a series link for Glastonbury on BBC4, I noticed that the series link for BBC2 had been removed.  If I then created the series link for BBC2 again, the link for BBC4 was removed.

I managed to get around this problem by creating a series link for the BBC4 programmes and then manually recording the BBC2 programmes.

Does anyone with detailed knowledge of the TiVo box know if this is a problem or anomaly with the box?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problem with Series Link

If you have the new software I believe that series links now cover all channels so TiVo would only require one series link not two. 

you can check in settings to see what software you're running home-help-system info-system info. However I actually don't know what software version is the new one so you may have to wait til someone else posts. Sorry! 

0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Even if they are on the new software it is perfectly reasonable to want multiple series links on different channels without using All Channels. You might want different options or not want really old episodes that might be on other channels. It should not just delete previous series links without warning either.

If this is a bug with the new software then I hope virgin are going to stop the roleout, fix the bug and test it properly this time. We have seen too many times where they have introduced bugs which we are stuck with for years if not indefinitely.

This is not the first time this bug has been reported since the role out started.

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

With the way the new Series Link works, you have two options - either a Series Link on a single channel or a Series Link that looks across all subscribed channels.

There are additional options to customise what series it records in addition the 'new / new & rerun / everything' option that exists on the existing Series Link.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

BenMcr wrote:
With the way the new Series Link works, you have two options - either a Series Link on a single channel or a Series Link that looks across all subscribed channels.

There are additional options to customise what series it records in addition the 'new / new & rerun / everything' option that exists on the existing Series Link.

So can you still have multiple series links for the same program on different channels (without an all channels series link) , or not?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No. With the new update, to record on multiple channels you have to set the Series Link to be an 'All Channels' series link. This is as designed by TiVo.

But as I said there is additional customisation in the Series Link to avoid recording episodes you don't want.

0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

BenMcr wrote:
No. With the new update, to record on multiple channels you have to set the Series Link to be an 'All Channels' series link. This is as designed by TiVo.

Wow. Thanks for confirming but I believe that is a MASSIVE backwards step. Especially with the UK epg data that lacks full episode and new information. So what happens during the "update" for those of us that currently do have multiple series links with different options (and don't want recordings from All channels, but just 2 or 3), do the duplicates just get deleted and one of them is randomly picked and turned into 'All Channels'? I honestly think this will turn into another major disaster that hasn't been thought through when rolled out.

Why hasn't this change been implemented correctly, to give warnings in the situation the OP reports?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

In regards to the OP, I'm not sure if they're on the new update or not. If they're not yet on the new update, then it should still be possible to set a series link for BBC Two and BBC Four.

However if you are on the new update, then once you set up a new Series Link, then you only get an option to Modify it (rather than the previous option of 'Get another Series Link' for another channel).

So you're not creating or deleting anything but changing the one that exists for the Series in question. TiVo will prompt for confirmation that you want to amend the Series Link before anything changes, just as it always has done.

In regards to the episode data, it's actually fairly rare for UK episode data to be incomplete. The majority of channels do provide full details for TiVo to correctly record the programmes based on the Series Link preferences. And as before, if it can't identify a particular episode it will record it be on the safe side. I'm not aware of where a series has no episode data across multiple channels that would cause a significant amount of incorrectly recorded episodes for a Series.

And in the case we're discussing in this thread, setting the Series Link to 'All Channels' would achieve exactly the same as setting two series links for BBC Two and BBC Four.

In regards to multiple existing series links for the same series, then as part of the update they are merged into a single 'All Channels' Series Link, but all other customisations, such as padding, are kept.

0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

BenMcr wrote:

In regards to the OP, I'm not sure if they're on the new update or not. If they're not yet on the new update, then it should still be possible to set a series link for BBC Two and BBC Four.

However if you are on the new update, then once you set up a new Series Link, then you only get an option to Modify it (rather than the previous option of 'Get another Series Link' for another channel).

So you're not creating or deleting anything but changing the one that exists for the Series in question. TiVo will prompt for confirmation that you want to amend the Series Link before anything changes, just as it always has done.

In regards to the episode data, it's actually fairly rare for UK episode data to be incomplete. The majority of channels do provide full details for TiVo to correctly record the programmes based on the Series Link preferences. And as before, if it can't identify a particular episode it will record it be on the safe side. I'm not aware of where a series has no episode data across multiple channels that would cause a significant amount of incorrectly recorded episodes for a Series.

And in the case we're discussing in this thread, setting the Series Link to 'All Channels' would achieve exactly the same as setting two series links for BBC Two and BBC Four.

In regards to multiple existing series links for the same series, then as part of the update they are merged into a single 'All Channels' Series Link, but all other customisations, such as padding, are kept.

In my experience incomplete data is VERY common. Having series links for BBC 2 and BBC 4 may be working much of the time, making it All Channels, could result in endless repeats being recorded from Pick, Gold, challenge, plus 1 channels etc etc. Even less programmes have the new flag. Even ID, Discovery, History, really channels regularly don't have full information. 

They should have just added 'All Channels' as an option without taking functionality away. Should be called Series Link- in my book.

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

thanks4nothing wrote: In my experience incomplete data is VERY common.

Tend to agree with this. I didn't realise how bad it was until I started switching my series links to all channels - and before any points it out they are set to new only!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos