Menu
Reply
  • 1.24K
  • 19
  • 101
Phil_C
Rising star
265 Views
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Problem viewing recordings between TiVos

A couple of months ago, Virgin kindly swapped my old V+ box for a TiVo 500M. I already had a 1T TiVo. I connected the two TiVo's with a network cable and all was well. I could watch recordings from each TiVo box through the other box. That was until very recently.

A few days ago, I watched a recording that was on the 500M TiVo via the 1T box in a different room. When it was finished, I tried to watch another, but I got the message that I couldn't watch it. It told me to reboot the other TiVo. And that's what it's done ever since then.

So I've just rebooted both TiVos but I still can't watch from the 500M via the 1T. I can watch the other way round - recordings from the 1T via the 500M, but not from the 500M via the 1T.

There is a change though. The 1T's software has been updated but the 500M's hasn't. Would that cause the problem, or is the problem unrelated? I can't totally rely on my memory, but I'm reasonably sure that the problem occured before the update to the 1T.

Solutions anyone?

ETA: Using the T1 box, I can view the lists of recordings on othe 500M, and select a recording to watch. I just can't watch it. So the connection between the two boxes is fine.

0 Kudos
Reply

Helpful Answers
  • 1.28K
  • 23
  • 118
G4DDS
Rising star
507 Views
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Problem viewing recordings between TiVos


Phil_C wrote:

 

There is a change though. The 1T's software has been updated but the 500M's hasn't. Would that cause the problem, or is the problem unrelated? I can't totally rely on my memory, but I'm reasonably sure that the problem occured before the update to the 1T.

Solutions anyone?

ETA: Using the T1 box, I can view the lists of recordings on othe 500M, and select a recording to watch. I just can't watch it. So the connection between the two boxes is fine.


Both boxes have to be on the same (major) software version for streaming to work "properly" between boxes.

Are you saying one is on V20.5.7* (new software) and another on 20.4.3.1* (old software)? If so then I think you will need to ring customer services and try and explain to them or you could wait and for when a forum mod picks up on this as I suspect they could investigate for you (this is probably the easiest solution).

* off the top of my head so apologies if wrong!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
Reply

All Replies
  • 1.28K
  • 23
  • 118
G4DDS
Rising star
508 Views
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Problem viewing recordings between TiVos


Phil_C wrote:

 

There is a change though. The 1T's software has been updated but the 500M's hasn't. Would that cause the problem, or is the problem unrelated? I can't totally rely on my memory, but I'm reasonably sure that the problem occured before the update to the 1T.

Solutions anyone?

ETA: Using the T1 box, I can view the lists of recordings on othe 500M, and select a recording to watch. I just can't watch it. So the connection between the two boxes is fine.


Both boxes have to be on the same (major) software version for streaming to work "properly" between boxes.

Are you saying one is on V20.5.7* (new software) and another on 20.4.3.1* (old software)? If so then I think you will need to ring customer services and try and explain to them or you could wait and for when a forum mod picks up on this as I suspect they could investigate for you (this is probably the easiest solution).

* off the top of my head so apologies if wrong!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 1.24K
  • 19
  • 101
Phil_C
Rising star
250 Views
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problem viewing recordings between TiVos

Thank you for that. The 1T has the new major update (it has Series Link+, which I like, even though I haven't made use of the new bits yet). The 500M doesn't have that yet, so it hasn't been updated.

If the updates are still being rolled out, I can wait. I'm in no hurry. But if it's all finished, and no Virgin person responds in this thread, I'll phone them.

Incidentally, I can watch programmes that are recorded on the 1T, via the cable to the 500M and then to its TV. So both boxes needing to have the same major software version is only half right Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 1.28K
  • 23
  • 118
G4DDS
Rising star
245 Views
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problem viewing recordings between TiVos


Phil_C wrote:
Thank you for that. The 1T has the new major update (it has Series Link+, which I like, even though I haven't made use of the new bits yet). The 500M doesn't have that yet, so it hasn't been updated.

If the updates are still being rolled out, I can wait. I'm in no hurry. But if it's all finished, and no Virgin person responds in this thread, I'll phone them.

Incidentally, I can watch programmes that are recorded on the 1T, via the cable to the 500M and then to its TV. So both boxes needing to have the same major software version is only half right Smiley Happy

Interesting about your findings about being able to watch one way but not the other. Perhaps the later software has both the new and old encryption keys for backwards compatibility so it can stream content from from boxes regardless of whether it is running new or old software. This would explain why the 500G box on the old software can't stream from the 1Tb box with the new software.

Regarding the rollout, I am 100% sure both boxes should have been updated at the same time as they would be doing it area by area and not by box type? Anyone else confirm or had a case where updates have been staggered between boxes on the same account.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 1.24K
  • 19
  • 101
Phil_C
Rising star
239 Views
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problem viewing recordings between TiVos

I've been calling it a 500M box, haven't I? <embarrassed face>

It's the other way round. The 500G box can receive recordings from the 1T box. And the 500G box isn't updated, so it can't have the new encryption key if there is one.

I'll give it a day or three to see if a Virgin person responds, and, if not, I'll call Virgin.
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 1.28K
  • 23
  • 118
G4DDS
Rising star
223 Views
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problem viewing recordings between TiVos


Phil_C wrote:
I've been calling it a 500M box, haven't I? <embarrassed face>

It's the other way round. The 500G box can receive recordings from the 1T box. And the 500G box isn't updated, so it can't have the new encryption key if there is one.

I'll give it a day or three to see if a Virgin person responds, and, if not, I'll call Virgin.

500M - I have done this in the past as well but luckily I was still in my "edit post" period so was able to correct before too many noticed.

My mistake (probably reading things too quick) about the way it was streaming. You could always PM a forum mod and ask them nicely about the boxes being on different software if you don't want the hassle of phoning customer services.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 1.24K
  • 19
  • 101
Phil_C
Rising star
201 Views
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problem viewing recordings between TiVos

Apart from looking through threads to find what appears to be a mod, is there a quick way to do that? I haven't clicked the 'Flag for a moderator' link, but I'm assuming that that's there for reporting posts, and not for asking for assistance.
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 1.28K
  • 23
  • 118
G4DDS
Rising star
146 Views
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problem viewing recordings between TiVos


Phil_C wrote:
Apart from looking through threads to find what appears to be a mod, is there a quick way to do that? I haven't clicked the 'Flag for a moderator' link, but I'm assuming that that's there for reporting posts, and not for asking for assistance.

Correct - don't click that link as it for reporting dodgy posts!

If you still need help then visit:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/forums/usersonlinepage

and look for users with the VM logo next to their name and the rank of forum team and try sending one of them a PM directing them to this thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 1.24K
  • 19
  • 101
Phil_C
Rising star
125 Views
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problem viewing recordings between TiVos

Update:
The 500 TiVo now has the update, and recordings can now be viewed in both directions again. So the problem may have occured because both TiVos did not have the same software version.
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 1.28K
  • 23
  • 118
G4DDS
Rising star
107 Views
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problem viewing recordings between TiVos


Phil_C wrote:
Update:
The 500 TiVo now has the update, and recordings can now be viewed in both directions again. So the problem may have occured because both TiVos did not have the same software version.

Excellent - glad its all sorted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
Reply