Menu
Bassjunkie_uk
Tuning in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Price increase

Hi all,

I've been informed by letter that the price is increasing in February 2015. As we don't really use the TiVo to its full potential I want to cancel the service but keep the broadband and phone line.

I've already spoken to customer services and by doing this I will save around £12 a month, with getting a speed increase on the broadband at the same time. I will be happy with this, but my question is:

If I'm downgrading to Freeview only through the TiVo box, do I have to keep it plugged in? The reason for asking this is, we getting a new TV in new year (current one has died) which will be a SmartTV so wouldn't need the TiVo box for any on-demand stuff.

Could I box it up and store it away until the time comes that we decide to upgrade and use it again?

I know Virgin rent you the box, so if I'm not using it, could they ask for it back?

Thanks for your time

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Price increase

I am assuming that the OP has TV M included with his new deal.

When he gets his new TV, he can choose to continue to use the Virgin Media box as his source of linear channels or connect his new TV to an external aerial.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Bassjunkie_uk wrote:

Thanks for the response, I know I can't use it for 'Freeview' but I believe I can use it to get only the free to air channels with out a subscription.

Without TV M, which is a subscription, you cannot use the box as Virgin Media will expect it back.

Your new Smart TV will require an aerial connection to receive linear channels (Freeview) and an Internet connection for its Smart functions.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

You can not use the TiVo box for freeview it's cable only, once you cancel it will no longer work and you will have to return it to v,
0 Kudos
davrosa
Superfast
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

As far as I know you cannot receive free-view through the Tivo box but your new super tech TV should have this facility providing you have the areal
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I am assuming that the OP has TV M included with his new deal.

When he gets his new TV, he can choose to continue to use the Virgin Media box as his source of linear channels or connect his new TV to an external aerial.

0 Kudos
Bassjunkie_uk
Tuning in
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response, I know I can't use it for 'Freeview' but I believe I can use it to get only the free to air channels with out a subscription.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

not correct. you need a subscription to use a cable box. an it belongs to VM they will wask for it back when you leave.

you would need to get the free to air channels though your TV
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Bassjunkie_uk wrote:

Without TV M, which is a subscription, you cannot use the box as Virgin Media will expect it back.

Your new Smart TV will require an aerial connection to receive linear channels (Freeview) and an Internet connection for its Smart functions.

0 Kudos
mbonnick
Rising star
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

When I was looking at moving to Sky last year and just keeping Broadband similar to the described scenario, I was chatting to Virgin about it they offered to let me keep my Tivo box for free and get the free to air channels, so maybe this is what the op has been offered??

I guess they hope that as you still have the box you will decide to take the paid for channels again at some time or maybe watch the odd On Demand film.

0 Kudos
mac1611
Joining in
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

got my letter today  £4 a month more for broadband and phone !!!!! Been with them for 7 years service has got steadily worse and my bill has doubled in that time !!! bye bye virgin media ,seriously looking elsewhere even if i have to have to change my  number sorry 

0 Kudos
ryan2801
Up to speed
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

When I cancelled my Tivo subscription but kept the phone/BB I was able to keep the Tivo for its free to air channels.

As for yet another price hike, Sky have offered me 75% off their package. Adios yet again VM.

0 Kudos