Menu
Hercules2015
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Power line with TiVo box

Hello, I recently moved my room about which meant my TiVo box ended up being on the opposite end of the room to the modem. Instead of feeding a cable all the way round the room I read about power line adapters. I bought a set of power line adapters and plugged one into the modem and one into the TiVo box then paired them but the TiVo box doesn't pick up any signal what so ever. I've tried two types of power line adapters so I know the fault isn't with them. Thanks Andy

0 Kudos
adrianm758
Dialled in
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Power line with TiVo box

Did you try going to settings>network and check you have an IP address? If necessary continue to  > change network settings > 'get automatically from dhcp server' and re-acquire it.

I agree the fault isn't with the powerlines if you've tried two types, so you must be doing something wrong.

0 Kudos
Hercules2015
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Tried that still nothing? You got any other suggestions? Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Both the cable modem & the TiVO need to be connected to Virgins white coax network cable or you will get nothing. The TV channels are provided via RF, not over the internet. The Ethernet connection is for data, & to stream a restricted amount of recorded material between TiVO's.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Hercules2015
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

So them power line adapters don't work then and the only alternative is to feed the white cable round the room? Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yep. The only option if the cable is not long enough is a engineer call out, which as its not fault related will cost you £99. You cant purchase Virgins coax cable, its specially made, & DIY alterations are not advisable as it 1) alters your signal levels, which will affect your equipment performance, & 2) may induce RF interference back onto VM's network, which could affect the whole street.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Hercules2015
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

£99! The robbing B*******. Ok thanks a lot mate.

0 Kudos
Enduser
Superfast
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hercules2015 wrote:

£99! The robbing B*******. Ok thanks a lot mate.

£99 is a lot I agree, but at least it's better than SKY who I am told charges £75 for all visits, even faults !!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Try and get any contractor to turn up at your house and do some work for you for less than £99

0 Kudos
Hercules2015
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

To run a cable round a skirting board, behave.
0 Kudos