Menu
Gch76
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Poor iPlayer performance.

We've been plagued by the poor iPlayer performance for a long as I can remember.
If it wants to play at all, it's invariably unwatchable due to buffering - why has this always been an issue and will it be fixed?
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor iPlayer performance.

Hi Gch76,

Welcome into the Community, it's great to see a new face Smiley Happy

I am sorry to read that there has been some poor performance on the iPlayer, I would love to help and have been able to run some tests from where I am.

I can see that there is an open outage for some over demand in the area:-

Fault reference:     F004737061

Estimated review: 30th November 2016

Once this is resolved, any slowness you may be seeing will stop. If you do need any additional help, let me know.

All the best.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Gch76
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Ben.

Thanks for your reply.
I wish this was a recent isolated issue that could be explained by an outage, as described, but I have been experiencing this problem for years now and as there is no such issue when watching other catch-up/on demand services supplied by VM, e.g Netflix, I get the impression that this is largely a problem with the BBC iPlayer.
Both my old Virgin HD box and the recent TiVo have had the same problem.
We just don't have the confidence in it, so much so that we don't know if the programme we want to put on will actually play.
I know we can set series links and use another device to watch iPlayer content in but we don't necessarily want to.
As it's part of the service, surely this is meant to be better than this?

Regards
Gareth
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gareth Smiley Happy

Thank you for your reply. With both boxes being affected this does lean towards a service where there is some over demand for the services. 

Those streaming and On Demand facilities are prone to issues if this type of faulty exists. I would like to stay in touch with you to see if any thing develops in the meantime. 

Stay in touch.

Ben

0 Kudos
tonyworks
Up to speed
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

My Iplayer is almost unwatchable. It takes about 2 mins. to connect and sometimes just stops working.

I do not use it at all anymore. I have a smart tv and the Iplayer works perfectly on this. However it is a bit annoying paying for a service that does not exist and I then need to use another remote control to use it on the TV.

Also for a company that is supposedly a communication company it is getting harder and harder to speak to anyone. You cannot even send an email to anyone to get any action.

We pay more and more but get less and less. Freesat here I come!

Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tonyworks,

Thank you for posting, welcome back Smiley Happy

I am sorry to read that you have experienced some interruptions on the TV services in the home. After having a look at the connection and running some tests, I've found a detectable fault. It would seem that tehre are some signal issues that would attribute to your performance and this is something that would require an engineer.

If you can have a little look inside your Inbox, you'll see I've sent you a Private Message. You can find this at the top right of the page, purple envelope.

Speak to you soon and welcome into the Community.
Ben

0 Kudos
tonyworks
Up to speed
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I am still waiting for virginnmedia to arrange for an engineer to look at the problem. If this was my own freesat I would have had it all sorted myself by now, and freesat is what it says -- free-- I am an engineer myself so I would be able to look after it free. How much do I pay for Virgin? They are taking a long time to sort this problem out. Just admit that the iPlayer does not work on your system and then reduce your prices, after all the iPlayer is also free on my smart TV.

0 Kudos
Gch76
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Exactly, yes.
Of course we can always use other devices but that's hardly convenient - why should we have to swap about from one to the other when we pay for a service that claims to have the iPlayer included?

Perhaps not all users rely on it to the same extent as we do in our house - but it should simply work and be reliable.

The fact that it isn't is a constant source of frustration.
tonyworks
Up to speed
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I completely agree it's having to keep changing remote controls that gives me the problems. The whole idea of the TiVo system is that it is all there on on system and one remote control. I now need to use at least two remotes and keep switching between them. Not very good is it. The prices keep going up to pay for all these services we cannot use, do not want and do not work.

Come on Virgin you must have enough money to be able to fix the iPlayer and speed up the response. It is no good saying a new box is coming next year, what about our boxes! Perhaps we should not need to pay anything till we get the new boxes

0 Kudos
Disappointed3
Just joined
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I 'upgraded' to Tivo 2 weeks ago. I'm very disappointed to have lost BBC from catch up. The iplayer is inadequate - slow, glitchy, badly designed and unreliable. I'm paying a lot for this 'service' and Virgin can't give me access to one of the worlds major broadcasters. You could do it on old box. Why is Tivo worse?