Menu
Milambar
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Poor Quality TiVo Service

A while ago now, I can't remember when, my old Samsung V+ service was upgraded to a TiVo service, but when I tried to connect the TiVo box, I had to do so via SCART, as my TV at the time only had a SCART input, and unfortunately it would transpire that the TiVo only outputs a HD signal, so all I got was a rolling picture that was unwatchable. So I disconnected the TiVo until I could get a more modern TV, and just watched TV via the various "catch up" services.

Now I have a TV that can handle a HD signal, I connected up the TiVo, and wow, I am quite frankly, amazed that you have the gall to CHARGE for this kind of really poor quiality service.

Let us, to start with, set aside the fact that I am on a legacy TV M package which is free, I am, I do believe, charged a nominal amount for the TiVo service itself, therefore despite the TV packages itself being free, I do believe I have grounds for complaint.

Firstly, upon powering up the TiVo device, it took an age to process its boot-up sequence. It literally sat on "STATRTING UP" for 30 minutes. This is in part, acceptable as it is the first time it has been started in a long time, I guess it was downloading updates.

Once it had started up, it gave an error to the effect that because it had not been operated for over 30 days, it had to make a network connection and download some stuff. Thats fine, also partially expected. So I let it do so.

It took literally 3 hours. 3 hours before I got an actual TV picture. 3 hours is very unacceptable. Even for an initial startup. Then when I pressed the TV button to see what was on, the TV guide listed every single channel and every single show as "To be announced".

I am assuming that this would be because the TV guide is an additional "premium" service, not available with TV M.

So I have basically disconnected everything, and gone back to watching stuff via the various catchup services.

I am really not happy about the incredible slowness of the TiVo device, or about the fact that I don't have access to the TV Guide, and wonder if theres anything that can be done about it?

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor Quality TiVo Service

A couple of points. I have never used it myself but I am sure that the Tivo outputs a signal via SCART, others have posted about using it, but the quality of a SCART output is never going to compete with an HD picture. If I remember properly, a rolling SCART picture was usually down to the SCART cable not being properly connected.

Now you have a HD capable TV, how are you connecting it? I presume that you know you need to use an HDMI cable and set the video output correctly.

As you have found out, should you leave the Tivo off for an extended period of time then you need to have it re-activated. Have you spoken to VM?

The problem with the TV guide may be down to the fact that it needs to be re-activated or it simply could be a function of the fact that it has not been on for a while, so there is a lot of guide to be downloaded. Or it could be a combination of both.

Finally, it may be down to the fact that the box has an issue which has never been investigated because it has never really been used.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Milambar
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The picture quality is not an issue (its connected via HDMI now just to answer your question), "poor quality" refers to the service, not to the image quality.

A store bought "freeview" box, gets all the same channels, and only takes 30 to 60 seconds to boot up from cold, not 30 minutes which my "Premium" TiVo unit apparently takes.

A store bought DVR (digital video recorder) with Freeview built in, only takes a little longer than a minute to boot up. Still a lot faster than my TiVo's 30 minutes 

Store bought Freeview boxes and DVR's don't then spend 3 hours "connecting to network" before they will work, nor do they disable the program guide and only sit there saying "Yet to be announced".

I am sorry, but, while the TV M is free, I am paying extra for the priviledge of having a TiVo. Whilst I previously lacked the equipment to use it, I was willing to give it a "ride", as that was my fault for not having the correct equipment. Now that I do, I expect to be able to use it, and I expect much better performance than 3.5 hours from power on to being usable. I expect it to be as usable and as fast as any DVR I could purchase from the store.

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

As this is the first time the TiVo has been used it will have to do lots of updates, download the TV guide etc. but this is a one-off process, in the future the TV guide will be updated in the background on a regular basis. There might be occasional software updates in the future but generally these happen overnight so you're unlikely to even notice them.

Generally the TiVo will take 5 or so minutes to boot up after being turned off at the mains, but again this is something that should hardly ever need to be done as it is designed to be left on permanently (so it can record etc.).

0 Kudos
Milambar
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It seems not one of the Virgin Media staff want to take ownership of my problem, which ironically is exactly the same reason I am on a loyalty/legacy bundle in the first place. I wanted to disconnect because VM staff didn't want to resolve an issue with my broadband almost a year ago. Disconnections arranged a next-day technician and persuaded me to stay. 

Nothing has changed, I see. Well, my contract is almost up.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

This Community Forum is not Virgin Media's primary support mechanism. That is the phone.

This forum is serviced by Virgin Media staff and they will take ownership of your issue but they can take some days to get round to your situation.

0 Kudos
Milambar
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately, that is EXACTLY the same reason that I went to disconnections the last time.

I have a severe hearing impediment, which means using a phone is close to impossible for me. I either have to get a neighbour to phone in pretending to be me or they won't talk to them, or I have to struggle really hard with my hearing impediment, making the call 20x longer than it needs to be. All because VM don't have a support route for deaf people, except to wait multiple days with a fault, for a forum response.

I am tired of it.

Also don't quote me "get a textphone", have you any idea how much they cost, and that almost no companies have competent staff manning them in the end anyway.

0 Kudos