Menu
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 1 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Pixellation, etc

Could someone run a check on my Tivo, "FM1". It has been exhibiting pixellation, freezing and break-ups for a couple of weeks now which is starting to become a nuisance. I have been trying to monitor when it is happening and it appears to be happening on both recordings and live TV. It is more obvious in the former but then I rarely watch live TV.

It may or may not be significant but the problem appeared to start shortly after I received a second Tivo, "Sitting Room" as a box swap for a V+. This was a self-install.

I have been reluctant to report this as I would not like to lose "FM1" as it has been more or less well-behaved since installation in April 2011. It may be slowing down, which seems a general problem, but it does not have the problems others have reported, e.g. randomly deleting recordings or the, totally unacceptable, loss of Dolby Digital.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Mark42
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Re: Pixellation, etc

For the last few weeks, just after Christmas, mine has been doing the same.

It has performed faultlessly for the past couple of years since installation, but this last few weeks, Live TV and recordings pixellate, and it seems to be getting worse, sometimes full 'lines' of pixels across the screen..

Have checked the cable is plugged in properly and the usual obvious checks.

If you could check mine too that would be great.

0 Kudos
carlgoss
Up to speed
Message 3 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Yup same here my Tivo has just started freezing, pixelating and breaking up. I think it appears to be on recorded items so suspect imminent hard drive failure.

V6
200 Mbps
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hi frank_gm,

Thanks for coming by and I'm sorry to hear that you're having pixelation trouble on this channel.  I'll be happy to help check this out for you.

Currently when I try to connect tot he box remotely it shows as 'offline' so I am unable to check it's full status.  Can you please let me know if the box is currently turned on?

Let me know, and I can check further.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 5 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Collette_T wrote:

Hi frank_gm,

Thanks for coming by and I'm sorry to hear that you're having pixelation trouble on this channel.  I'll be happy to help check this out for you.

Currently when I try to connect tot he box remotely it shows as 'offline' so I am unable to check it's full status.  Can you please let me know if the box is currently turned on?

Let me know, and I can check further.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Collette Smiley Happy

Both boxes are kept either on are in standby. In fact at the time of your post, ‎23-01-2016 11:11, I was watching a recording on FM1.

I am puzzled by your use of the word "channel" as the problem appears across channels. In fact it appeared briefly on the recording I was watching this morning.

It may be useful to point out that our broadband is also giving us problems and had to be rebooted on Thursday as it had frozen.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hi frank_gm,

Thank you for your reply Smiley Happy

I have tried to check the boxes again, one is online and all shows fine signal wise.  the other is still showing as 'offline' so currently I am unable to get a full reading on this particular box.

Do you get the same fault on both boxes or just the one?

I have taken an initial look at your Broadband service as well as you'd mentioned you'd had a problem recently and all looks fine at present.  It may be related to the TV fault at the moment I don't see anything to say that's the case.  If you do have any persistent issues with the Broadband not working in anyway, give our Broadband Team a shout and they can carry out full checks for you.

In relation to the TV service, if you can please let me know if this affects the one box or both that would be great.

I look forward to hearing from you. Smiley Happy

Collette.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 7 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Collette_T wrote:

Hi frank_gm,

Thank you for your reply Smiley Happy

I have tried to check the boxes again, one is online and all shows fine signal wise.  the other is still showing as 'offline' so currently I am unable to get a full reading on this particular box.

That is puzzling. I have been watching football on the box named "FM1", the one displaying pixellation problems. The box named "Sitting Room" was on standby but I have just woke it up and it is on a channel at the moment.  My understanding was that a box on standby should still show as online so can you say which box is showing as offline?

While I have not noticed any problems on the box named "Sitting Room" box we do tend to use FM1 most.

Do you get the same fault on both boxes or just the one?

I have taken an initial look at your Broadband service as well as you'd mentioned you'd had a problem recently and all looks fine at present.  It may be related to the TV fault at the moment I don't see anything to say that's the case.  If you do have any persistent issues with the Broadband not working in anyway, give our Broadband Team a shout and they can carry out full checks for you.

In relation to the TV service, if you can please let me know if this affects the one box or both that would be great.

I look forward to hearing from you. Smiley Happy

Collette.

¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 8 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Could I get a response to my update? My TiVo, FM1, is now having problems updating the EPG.

¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hi frank_gm,

Thank you for your patience Smiley Happy

I have been able to check out both set top  boxes now for you and all signal and power levels are fine with both of them.  Also I can see the box is connecting tot he network successfully when it should be to update the EPG.

As you're still getting a fault I would like to arrange for an engineer to call round and check out all the equipment and connections, give everything a general health check for you if that's ok?

I will send you a private message letting you details of the next steps.  (Look for the envelope icon above)

Collette Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 10 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Collette

The engineer arrived this morning and, after I gave him a run down on what has happened to date, he checked both Tivos and the router.  

He immediately noticed an issue with the signal level on the Tivo which has been giving me a problem. It was not out by much but he changed the filter (equalizer?) as he said the signal was a bit high. I will keep an eye on things and hopefully that will be the end of my problem.

I had received text updates to remind me of the visit over the last couple of days and first thing this morning. The engineer phoned me in advance to tell me he was on his way and his attitude was excellent. I have criticised VM previously but on this occasion I have nothing but good to say for all involved.

¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos