Menu
barrylowry
Superfast
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Pixelation on back to back recordings - old problem has reappeared

It looks like the 'pixellation'  of back to back recordings  at the cut-over point has re-appeared.

I Recorded the Guy Martin Vulcan Bomber  doc and homeland immediately after on 4HD both had my default padding of 1 minute before and 4 minutes after. 5 Minutes into homeland I get pixelation for a second then normal picture for rest of recording. I have noticed this on a few back to back recordings recently. We used to get this quite regularly and it was  a known bug but then a software update was issued that fixed it and for a long time I haven't seen it reoccur but now it looks as if the last software update/bug fix has brought it back.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Pixelation on back to back recordings - old problem has reappeared

Hi Barrylowry,

Thank you for coming back and posting, welcome back Smiley Happy

Looks like the recordings back to back with a slight pixelation isn't something to be worried about. If you're seeing this pixelation for longer periods of time on live and recorded channels then I would suggest coming back again. When the recording cut over this is something to be expected but shouldn't interrupt any other channels or content Smiley Happy

I've tested the connection on all services in the home and everything is looking very healthy.

Come back again soon.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
barrylowry
Superfast
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

BenD_H wrote:

Hi Barrylowry,

Thank you for coming back and posting, welcome back Smiley Happy

Looks like the recordings back to back with a slight pixelation isn't something to be worried about. If you're seeing this pixelation for longer periods of time on live and recorded channels then I would suggest coming back again. When the recording cut over this is something to be expected but shouldn't interrupt any other channels or content Smiley Happy

I've tested the connection on all services in the home and everything is looking very healthy.

Come back again soon.

Ben

Ben,

What you have said is complete bovine excrement.

You cannot seriously believe that any pixelation in a recording is acceptable to customers.

This is a bug, It was a bug when it was raised before and accepted as a bug by TIVO USA and VM, you are supposed to be a mod so look back at the log history, you will find hundreds of posts about it from about  12-18  months ago

This bug ( that you think is acceptable interference) was fixed and has now become unfixed so it needs to be fixed again

Just because you want to wish it away (like the optical debacle) does not stop it being a bug nor its need to be fixed.

This sounds suspiciously like VM winding down any development work / bug fixes for TIVO Mk1 so we all have to upgrade to TIVO Mk2 to get a decent working machine.

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The latest firmware update has not broken anything as the original bug was not entirely fixed (although it does only happen very occasionally). I reported this way back in January:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Back-2-Back-Recordings-Breakup-on-Chan...

There is also at least one other thread that someone else started a few months after mine also reporting the same problem.

Edit: Concerning the moderator post above, it is not so much the pixellation but the audio can also glitch at the same time and I have had a couple of recordings where I have had to rewind and switch sub titles on so I could see what was being said due to the audio briefly cutting out or skipping.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
barrylowry
Superfast
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

G4DDS wrote:

The latest firmware update has not broken anything as the original bug was not entirely fixed (although it does only happen very occasionally). I reported this way back in January:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Back-2-Back-Recordings-Breakup-on-Chan...

There is also at least one other thread that someone else started a few months after mine also reporting the same problem.

Edit: Concerning the moderator post above, it is not so much the pixellation but the audio can also glitch at the same time and I have had a couple of recordings where I have had to rewind and switch sub titles on so I could see what was being said due to the audio briefly cutting out or skipping.

As far as I was concerned the original bug had been fixed because  I haven't had this problem for at least a year, until recently, now I get it on every back to back recording. Not getting the glitch for all that time may have been my good fortune or the last software update did indeed unfixed it, but it was a bug before and it was accepted as such by TIVO US and VM, so why do I get the crass reply from the mod saying its not a bug and such pixelation ( and I get pixelation not an audio glitch) is perfectly normal. No Pixelation is perfectly normal and to gloss over the problem and pretend it is a consequence of normal operation rather than owning up and taking responsibility, speaks volumes about the professionalism of VM as a company and the lack of respect it has for its customers.

0 Kudos
Shugg
Up to speed
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Tend to agree that it was fixed after the last big firmware update.  Something has now unfixed it.  I too am disappointed at the responses that we now seem to get from people at Virgin.  They used to take some ownership, now say, 1) It's your power levels (I had an engineer call a while back for a different problem and he brought a new box, I said I didn't want it, he said that's all he could do and what was he here for otherwise?.  Palm, head. 2) Switch it off, leave for x mins, turn on again, c) There's nothing to worry about, that's life.  Same with the useless YouTube app.

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Shugg wrote:

Tend to agree that it was fixed after the last big firmware update.  Something has now unfixed it. 

Reported as not fixed here January 2015 by myself and confirmed by 2 others in the same thread:

Also reported here by Shugg as re-occurring in May 2015:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/5-minute-glitch/m-p/2837290#M115931

All before the last firmware update.

Also reported here October 2015 (not sure whether that was before or after firmware update):

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Back-to-back-recordings-still-breaking...

Interestingly this quotes fault reference F004013942 as being raised for further investigation. If any mods are reading this what is the status of this fault investiagtion?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
stevio11
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I too have started getting this problem back again not just on recordings but when watching tv normally, to brush it off is not good enough. Get your engineers working and earning their money to find out why this is happening again then sort it out as I never ever got this on sky

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stevio11,

Thank you for coming in and posting again, welcome back.

I'd like to help and would like some information so I may look into this a little more. This isn't something confirmed an issue however with the amount of interest I would like to highlight this.

Can you tell me:-

What TV channel number you're trying to record?

What TV programme?

Where does the pixellation occur?

Does this happen on all boxes?

Many thanks.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos