Menu
jdcross
Tuning in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Pixelation and freezing of TiVo recordings

Hello

New to the forum. Over past 2 weeks we have noticed that all out recordings on our TiVo box freeze and pixelate intermittently. Very annoying.

I have clearing out the HD and resetting the box. Doesn't solve it. 

Any advice appreciated . Jason

Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Pixelation and freezing of TiVo recordings

Could be your signal but if it's not happening on live tv then it's most probably your hard drive dying. Ring for an engineer. 

zackbox
Tuning in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Same problem here just in the last two weeks. box tested by call centre who wanted to send out engineer but refused to acknowledge it was a known fault. Glad you posted that you had reset hard drive and it didn't help. I am sure its a virgin software fault.
Ace
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Me too, getting exactly same problem, have also reset without any improvement.
Recordings freeze, fast forward does not work, you have to wait until it just starts again, this can happen several times during an hours recording.
Distortion and pixelation less common but happens.
Will give it another week and if no improvement will give them a ring, TIVO is only about two years old.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

zackbox wrote:
Same problem here just in the last two weeks. box tested by call centre who wanted to send out engineer but refused to acknowledge it was a known fault. Glad you posted that you had reset hard drive and it didn't help. I am sure its a virgin software fault.

What makes you think that it is a software fault?  As Parrotperson says above it is most likely either a signal or an HDD issue, I had an engineer out to sort out the former a few weeks ago.

Look around the forums, these are very typical of the problems reported. You might as well get an engineer out sooner than later.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
zackbox
Tuning in
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I have to wait until I have watched my recordings as I will lose them all. Today only half the guide has loaded and that seems to be a common fault too. I never had these problems with my tivo 1. What makes you think its a hdd fault. I can rewind and the bit thats frozen earlier is ok so its not a read/write error. It happens about every 2 mins for about 5 seconds.
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

"zackbox wrote:
I have to wait until I have watched my recordings as I will lose them all. Today only half the guide has loaded and that seems to be a common fault too. I never had these problems with my tivo 1. What makes you think its a hdd fault. I can rewind and the bit thats frozen earlier is ok so its not a read/write error. It happens about every 2 mins for about 5 seconds.

What I said was " it is most likely either a signal or an HDD issue". That is simply based on the majority of reports seen on the forums. If the problem is primarily seen on recordings rather than live TV then that might suggest an HDD problem while if seen on both live and recordings then more likely a signal problem. The latter could be due to a local problem or it could be further back in the network, what does it say in your Service Status?

My signal issue was local, pixellation and stuttering seen on both live and recordings and I also had guide problems, as you mention above.

A software fault would be likely to be affecting a lot more people, the Samsung Dolby problem for example. Why do you think that it is a software fault?

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
zackbox
Tuning in
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I understand what you are saying. All 3 tuners are 100% and live tv is perfect. I am not sure if it is coincidental but I have gone through the settings and see my service update has not been successful since 17th feb about the time my problems started. That explains why the guide is now "to be announced" could that be a hd problem too? The service update gets through all the checks and then gets stuck on 6%
0 Kudos
Ace
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Ah! my guide has many "to be announced" sections as well.
Live Tv is fine.
My recordings dont stutter , they just freeze, and sometimes distorted.
Will check service update later.
0 Kudos
zackbox
Tuning in
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

So the engineer came today and replaced the box but couldn't confirm why it got so many faults.
BE WARNED we lost everything despite being told by the call centre that wouldn't happen as data wss held gor 2 weeks. 2 virgin engineers couldn't work out how to retrieve our data despite them having a handbook of instructions. So I am going back to 151 to see if they can help.
Ho hum.
0 Kudos