Menu
nickh
Superfast
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Picture quality - ITV 1 HD - England vs Portugal

Picture quality on ITV 1 HD showing the England vs Portugal is very poor, barely better than SD.  Is this a VM issue or ITV?

0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Picture quality - ITV 1 HD - England vs Portugal

nickh wrote:

Picture quality on ITV 1 HD showing the England vs Portugal is very poor, barely better than SD.  Is this a VM issue or ITV?

ITV1 HD looked SD on Tivo for me for BGT but I generally watch/record free channels on Freesat as the picture/sound is so much better and the whole experience is far superior so can't comment on the football.

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nickh,

Thank you for posting and welcome back Smiley Happy

I'm sorry that the SD and HD quality wasn't up to the mark on the football. I have been looking into this and i can see that there are no current issues on the TV side, whether this was an issue at the time I would like to keep an eye on it. I did notice however that the T3 timeouts and would like to ask if you can reboot the box?

Many thanks.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
nickh
Superfast
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ben,

Thanks for your reply.  I've rebooted the Tivo box this morning, so will see if that improves things as when watching France vs Romania last night, picture quality was noticeably poorer on ITV1 HD compared to say Sky Sports 1 HD.

Nick

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

thanks4nothing wrote:

nickh wrote:

ITV1 HD looked SD on Tivo for me for BGT but I generally watch/record free channels on Freesat as the picture/sound is so much better and the whole experience is far superior so can't comment on the football.

What was ITV HD like on Freesat? This should give us a clue as to whether the problem is just poor pictures from ITV (so will be the same on all platforms) or whether it genuinely is a VM problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
button_sw
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The quality on BBC1 HD and ITV HD have been shockingly bad for the Euro 2016 matches so far, barely better than SD and the Bit rate must be so low.

Iv'e noticed a considerable drop in HD quality on all of the HD channels and I am wondering if Virgin have done something but I'm not sure what they could do to make it worse. The football is appalling with aliasing on the white lines and general lack of definition.

I had my Tivo box swapped out today for a new one as I thought that might have been my problem but the quality is just as bad.

Is it me, or was HD TV so superior a few years ago when it first came out? I'm not sure if it's a general bandwidth issue but when it's barely any better than SD I feel we aren't getting what we should be.

I know it's not my TV as I have a Pioneer Kuro 500A which when watching Blurays is as good as perfection as you can get.

I'd love to know the bitrate on ITV HD and BBC HD when the football is on, it looks shockingly low.

Any answers Virgin? 

0 Kudos
japitts
Well-informed
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It does take a bit of working out, but http://en.digitalbitrate.com/ website is the best you'll get for this sort of thing.

Edit: A few minutes playing, and http://en.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?liste=1&live=209&lang=en&mux=C068 is a comparison of BBC1-HD & ITV-HD which currently look to be carried on the same mux with a 16.5Mb/s bitrate

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nickh, 

Thank you for replying and letting me know about the reboot Smiley Happy

I would love to know how you've been getting on and been able to view all of the football?

If there's anything that you need please let me know Smiley Happy

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
davgille7
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm watching Euro16 on freesat and can confirm the HD picture is very poor. Not much better than SD.
0 Kudos